B4J Question Websockets and Firewalls

miker2069

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm learning about utilizing B4J and websockets, so please bear with me if this seems like a newbie question.

I have a question around using B4J and the web app which makes use of websockets. I'm thinking of accessing my webapp with websockets behind a corporate firewall. Is it safe to say that if I set my server port to 80 or 443 that I should be okay?

I've tried the chat sample from behind a firewall and (as expected) it didn't work because of the use of a non-standard HTTP/HTTPS port.

I tried this site behind my firewall:

https://websocketstest.com/

The site does a bunch of different type of send/receive tests using different ports and SSL. The only one that works behind a firewall for me was Port 443 w/ SSL. I assume because it looks like a regular SSL tunnel stream and the firewall will leave it alone.

So if I use my B4J web app with 443 and SSL is it safe to assume that this should work? I plan on testing shortly but wanted to talk it through with the community as well.

Thank You!

clarionero

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi. I think you must use Apache or Nginx and then create a "proxy channel" on them to redirect the trafic to your B4J application port. Then you can access the B4J appication by 80 or 443 ports, and you can use various apps in same server using diferent ports.

Rubén

Upvote 0

pixet

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you want to use non-standard ports and in any case differ from those set on the firewall you will most likely take a action on the firewall to resolve.

Rob

Upvote 0