B4J Question What would be the best solution for creating reports?

jroriz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Test nextreports successfully, but I wonder if this is the best way ...

jroriz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, since the topic is "what is the BEST solution", let's draw conclusions ...

Jaspersoft: 300 mb and a much larger learning curve.

JPOI: Although the power of jPOI with templates can not be despised, all logic to list the data has to be written.

Nextreports: 80 mb, and reports can be created from queries, in addition to allowing automate parameters.

And the winner is: Nextreports!

Thank you all!

Upvote 0

keirS

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, since the topic is "what is the BEST solution", let's draw conclusions ...

Nextreports: 80 mb, and reports can be created from queries, in addition to allowing automate parameters.

Thank you all!

Jasper can do both of those. Although I agree that it's hefty compared to Nextreports.

Upvote 0

jroriz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Jasper can do both of those. Although I agree that it's hefty compared to Nextreports.
I agree. I forgot to mention that in terms of functionality, jasper and nextreports are equivalent.
But the size and complexity of the jasper had a negative impact on choice.

We now have 3 immediate options for building reports.

That's why I love this community!

Upvote 0

atiaust

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Jroriz,

I have been using Nextreports 9.1 in my B4J apps with Mysql.
The Nextreports UI took a little bit of work to implement the parameters for the B4J app but it was worth it in the long run.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What this seems to conclude is that we need a "light weight banded" report utility for B4X.
Hopefully, there is a package out there that some one can wrap.

Complex due to the nature of reports. However, simple bands (title, header, detail, groups, footer) "should" be easy to accomplish for those experienced in this area.
When you look at Next and Jasper, they essentially accomplish this thru quieres of the template. Heavy in nature (500 meg for next - up to 1 gig for jasper), these servers are taxing on our small VPS projects.

With all we can do with B4X, this area is the most lacking.
We can easily collect, grid, graph - but try to produce a simple PDF page (8.5 x 11 - or whatever) of these results...

An opportunity (HUGE) awaits (like ABMaterial) for someone who can master this challenge. Start small and evolve.

Currently, I use an RTF format, which the user must save (download to their drive), open in a word processor (WPS) and export to a PDF for publication.
Works, but a major pain in the ass due to no other practical alternative.

Hopefully, someday soon...

Upvote 0

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you mean something like this:

https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/b4j-report-writer.64090/#content

Just print to a PDF printer.

Another option is to use the open source version of PDF jet which warwound wrapped many moons ago.

For both of this, it is clearly lacking the excel part. But a CSV with an excel template is more than enough.

Jpoi is awesome but time consuming. Yet there is jexcel that creates xls files with ease.

Upvote 0

jroriz

Licensed User
Longtime User
What this seems to conclude is that we need a "light weight banded" report utility for B4X.
Hopefully, there is a package out there that some one can wrap.

Complex due to the nature of reports. However, simple bands (title, header, detail, groups, footer) "should" be easy to accomplish for those experienced in this area.
When you look at Next and Jasper, they essentially accomplish this thru quieres of the template. Heavy in nature (500 meg for next - up to 1 gig for jasper), these servers are taxing on our small VPS projects.

With all we can do with B4X, this area is the most lacking.
We can easily collect, grid, graph - but try to produce a simple PDF page (8.5 x 11 - or whatever) of these results...

An opportunity (HUGE) awaits (like ABMaterial) for someone who can master this challenge. Start small and evolve.

Currently, I use an RTF format, which the user must save (download to their drive), open in a word processor (WPS) and export to a PDF for publication.
Works, but a major pain in the ass due to no other practical alternative.

Hopefully, someday soon...

Speaking for myself, I had no difficulties using nextreports. And I did not need the server.
JPoi also should not be despised ...

Upvote 0