Why is there no app for this?

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Let's start a generic "Let's find the app" thread. You have a need, but can't find the app. Maybe someone else knows...

I'll go first. I recently got a second tablet. Suddenly, I realize that a tablet is about the same size as a bluetooth keyboard. If I could use one of the tablets as a BT keyboard, I could have a spare tablet without the need to lug around more stuff.

So, I set out to find an app which makes a tablet work like a BT keyboard. Simply, type in it, and outwardly, it behaves exactly like a BT keyboard.

So far, I've found nothing. There are a couple of solutions, but they don't offer the simplicity of BT (requiring an app on both devices and entering IP address every time to pair them up), or they (actually only one, BluePutDroid) require custom roms ,which I don't like since I test my programs on the tablets.

Anyone who knows about such an app?

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So you want to use one tablet to be the keyboard for another tablet? Sounds crazy! :D

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yep, that's what I want. Sounds crazy, but when you think about it, lugging around a tablet and a keyboard isn't less work than lugging around two tablets, and having two tablets means I have a spare.

WAZUMBi

Licensed User
Longtime User
WOW!
An incredible idea.

The second device, the keyboard, will connect via Bluetooth....
I think the main challenge will be getting the receiving device to recognize the input commands and input them to the keyboard...

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Not really, if the sending device acts like a bluetooth keyboard. BT keyboards work just fine, so what's needed is simply to get the sending device to behave like a BT keyboard.

Edit: And "simply" may not be that simple, depending on the Android BT stack...