Android Question Why should I buy B4a?

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Because it is a magical intuitive way of creating apps for Android.

Have you tried learning Java with the Eclipse IDE?

With Basic4android you can make an app in under a minute.
http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/the-super-quick-way-to-knock-up-a-test-app.29596/#content

Now I'm learning how to make them pretty too!

Just slap a graphic on, then draw graphics for your buttons and you have a visually appealing app

21a0ny0.jpg

So that's pretty, what about complex?

Yeah... how about an Android app written in Basic4android that communicates with microcontrollers over a bluetooth link enabling them to use your phone or tablet as the control panel to your device, be it robot, drone, or washing machine? Allowing them to speak! play sound effects, send text messages, act on incoming text messages! Remote control your remote controlled device :)

More info on my website, check it out. Plus Discounts!

Last edited:

Todd Carlton

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have one specific database application that I wrote in Visual Studio over the course of the past 5 years, perfecting it.

For the past 3 years I hired two freelancers on separate occasions to port it to Android. Each of the two products they produced looked bad (UI), ran poorly, gave incorrect results, and crashed frequently. Foolishly I paid each of them in full in exchange for their Eclipse code hoping to salvage 'anything' I could from it.

I tried to learn Eclipse on my own (books, websites, online training) for the past five months without success. Even with their code to try to read and follow, it made no sense. Starting from scratch was even worse. The Eclipse forum guys had no interest in giving answers in terms I understood and examples for what I was trying to do just didn't exist as far as I could tell.

Two weeks ago tomorrow I opened up Basic4Android for the first time. The database app I have written looks great, runs well, and using some of the programming tips I've read in this forum is unbelievably fast and stable! It should be on the Google Play Store in the next two weeks. (Me dragging my feet... not due to development environment.)

I wish I had dumped Eclipse sooner.

Upvote 0

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Great post Todd!

You are confirming that there is no steep learning curve with Basic4android (B4a).

You can just get on and make it happen!

Perhaps the most impressive aspect of Basic4android is this amazing forum community.

Firm but fair, you will get all the help you need but expect them to say 'try it!'

Because it takes about a minute to knock up a test app and try your idea.

Amazing!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have one specific database application that I wrote in Visual Studio over the course of the past 5 years, perfecting it.

For the past 3 years I hired two freelancers on separate occasions to port it to Android. Each of the two products they produced looked bad (UI), ran poorly, gave incorrect results, and crashed frequently. Foolishly I paid each of them in full in exchange for their Eclipse code hoping to salvage 'anything' I could from it.

I tried to learn Eclipse on my own (books, websites, online training) for the past five months without success. Even with their code to try to read and follow, it made no sense. Starting from scratch was even worse. The Eclipse forum guys had no interest in giving answers in terms I understood and examples for what I was trying to do just didn't exist as far as I could tell.

Two weeks ago tomorrow I opened up Basic4Android for the first time. The database app I have written looks great, runs well, and using some of the programming tips I've read in this forum is unbelievably fast and stable! It should be on the Google Play Store in the next two weeks. (Me dragging my feet... not due to development environment.)

I could be famous for my poor memory.

But in the case of Eclipse I will always remember how it was easy... forget it, when I discovered B4A. :)

Upvote 0

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hehe :) I think B4a just feels natural to those that want to program, rather than continue to learn how to program.

Upvote 0

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User

I know the feeling. Before trying (and then buying) B4A, I tried NBAndroid, Kivy, and even HTML5. With NBAndroid, the main problem was Java, and how to actually run the app on a freaking device. With Kivy, I used sample code from the documentation and the GUI came out bunched up in a 100x100 pixel box even though the "result" from the sample code looked differently. Even examples on the web didn't work. Not to mention, Kivy doesn't have native UI elements. I gave up on HTML5 before I even started, because of my headaches from the first two.

I then remembered B4A and downloaded it. I had produced my "first app" in a matter of hours, along with help from this forum. I'm now refining my code after learning easier methods to what I was doing manually. (Types, for example) I love how b4<platform> is a "true" IDE.

@IanMc :

I fully recommend the Enterprise version. Two years of updates for $119 is awesome. Your license however, is perpetual.

Upvote 0

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I can get it down cheaper than that :)

However much you end up paying for B4a though, it's the best bargain you have made!

And yes, the enterprise two-year purchase is by far the best because Erel keeps on updating it.

Believe me, I do not part with money easily but B4a is one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Upvote 0

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Actually Erel has stopped updating it :D

one man
many irons

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4a is pretty perfect and Erel is now concentrating on B4i

all you iPhone users will benefit from it.

Upvote 0

Said

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dunno but he is really active on forums, quickly answering support mails. This means, he is working hard for support. Probably he collecting lots of problems/wish lists and update when he decides. Actually i dont think programmers want frequent updates. At least me.

I want updates, only when needed. Sometimes it took months, years, depending on bugs or new android versions.

Upvote 0

Said

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4i sounds good :)

Fully compatible source is utopia but iam ok with minor changes :)

Actually, old programmers knows fully compatible source, compiled file and datas. Lots ot programmers dont know but we have RM COBOL experience about 30 years ago :)

Upvote 0

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4a is working ok for me, I can't think about anything that I need to complain about :)

However, I miss the 'I've made an upgrade and here's the link'

Upvote 0

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel :
You may wanna remove the "#post-113482" from the end of the URL. That URL takes you to the correct thread, but to a post other than yours.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I will clarify about the updates.
B4A is our flagship product. We will of course, continue to update it. B4A v3.82 which was released on July was released three days after Android L preview was released.
The focus in the near future is on releasing the first version of B4i. However in the long run all three products will continue to be updated.

Upvote 0

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Actually Erel has stopped updating it

you have in average every 2.15 month a new update !! and every update brings great new stuff with it..

date log:

Basic4android v1.20 - Erel, Feb 2, 2011
Basic4android v1.30 - Erel, Mar 1, 2011
Basic4android v1.50 - Erel, May 8, 2011
Basic4android v1.60 - Erel, Jul 17, 2011
Basic4android v1.70 - Erel, Oct 17, 2011
Basic4android v1.80 - Erel, Jan 12, 2012
Basic4android v1.90 - Erel, Mar 27, 2012
Basic4android v1.92 - Erel, May 21, 2012
Basic4android v2.00 - Erel, Jun 19, 2012
Basic4android v2.02 - Erel, ?
Basic4android v2.20 - Erel, Oct 3, 2012
Basic4android v2.30 - Erel, Nov 25, 2012
Basic4android v2.50 - Erel, Jan 15, 2013
Basic4android v2.70 - Erel, May 12, 2013
Basic4android v3.00 - Erel, Oct 13, 2013
Basic4android v3.20 - Erel, Jan 13, 2014
Basic4android v3.50 - Erel, Mar 10, 2014
Basic4android v3.80 - Erel, May 18, 2014
Basic4android v3.82 - Erel, July 3, 2014

I CALL THIS: DILIGENCE !!

Upvote 0

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I will clarify about the updates.
B4A is our flagship product. We will of course, continue to update it. B4A v3.82 which was released on July was released three days after Android L preview was released.
The focus in the near future is on releasing the first version of B4i. However in the long run all three products will continue to be updated.

all 3 products? do you mean B4a, B4i and B4j? what about b4ppc?

Upvote 0