Windows 10 can run reworked Android and iOS apps

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sounds a bit like how CygWin works, maybe with some taste of Wine. Could work nice, but if they want apps to work, they really need to make it zero-work for the developer, just stuff the APK into Win10 and run it.

One interresting thing to be on the look out for, is if they somewhere happens to use some of the Android code. As Android is under GPL, that would place Windows 10 under GPL, and Microsoft would have to provide the source. That would be funny, especially as I strongly suspect that it's as crappy as it was some years ago when someone leaked the Windows source.

Last edited:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi KMatel,
Windows server has always been stable when you compare it with other versions, but you don't need pay for a server to play a game do you?
But even Win servers are more vulnerable to hacks and attacks than Linux and few companies us it as webserver in comparison to Linux, for the same reason, .. I have Win8.1 and regretted the upgrade from 7 like all others, including Microsoft :)
Now Microsoft is suffering from the (8-syndrome) and they named the new version Win-10, because they don't want to number 9 to remind them with 8!!
Remember Win Vesta that didn't live to cover the cost of development. So don't praise the balcony in winter.

Last edited:

Douglas Farias

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sem título.jpg

I m using the preview build 10074 of win10 and i like this.
I dont found any bug at now, very fast, run all my games, b4a, b4j, nice menu, apps etc.

IF windows Starting a run android applications, we profit EVEN MORE with OUR applications.
Thats is very good

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What kind of problems do you have with WIN8?

alright:
1- It doesn't run MS Studio 6.. I have plenty of source code.. I need to tweak many things and enter as administrator to do that! it runs BasicA for DOS 3 :)
2- why did Microsoft skip version 9? so many people fell back to Win 7.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes.. but this doesn't change that fact that Studio 6 is not seamlessly supported by Win8. Do you want to program or to stitch and patch?
No two persons can disagree over the failure of Windows 8 that even Microsoft hated and doesn't want to remember it's name.

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes.. but this doesn't change that fact that Studio 6 is not seamlessly supported by Win8. Do you want to program or to stitch and patch?
No two persons can disagree over the failure of Windows 8 that even Microsoft hated and doesn't want to remember it's name.

Oh, I completely agree with the failure of Windows 8 and 8.1 as I am still using Win7. Even the Logitech headset on my wife's Win 8.1 pc does not work via USB and Logitech is not fixing it as it is a MS problem. I still have and keep Win XP for my VB6 just in case. :)

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Could you please describe what the "failure" of WIN8 is? I can't find a single problem (at least 10 pc's/laptops).

Running OLD versions of any software is no argument for a new(er) OS to be bad. Get the new version of VS 2013. It is for free!

MS 6 is from the 90ies!!!!

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Could you please describe what the "failure" of WIN8 is? I can't find a single problem (at least 10 pc's/laptops).

Running OLD versions of any software is no argument for a new(er) OS to be bad. Get the new version of VS 2013. It is for free!

The Logitech headphones for one. And otherwise I just hate the change. I guess the code behind the face works ok but the face is a monstrosity! And as far as MS 6 being from the 90ies, I liked the 90's !!! :) Plus some of us have apps that we have to support that were written in VB6 and there is also a lot of good code in our repositories.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am glad that the Start menu of previous Windows versions now is back.. two years ago I had to buy a plug-in Start menu from a Russian company.
Windows 8.x was not a problem for users only, but for developers too.

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User

VS2013 is not free if you have millions of lines of source code in VS6 that you need to maintain and keep running.

@Beja : All of our WIN-Servers run 24/7/365. No probs. Never had a crash on my XP or WIN7/WIN8.1 systems. Are you still using WIN3.1? Maybe you need an update :D

I've run a lot of Windows servers (when I had the most, I had twelve of them), and I never managed to get a decent up time out of them. Usually, you need to restart them at least a couple of times a year, often more. Compare this to my old Netware servers or Linux servers, where I have over two years continous uptime, and what made them restart was either a powerout (no UPS...) or me moving to a new house, so I had to unplug them. Also, Windows often has to reboot after you add hardware or update a driver, something Netware or Linux doesn't. There's even a Linux project underway that will allow you to update the kernel on a running system, with only a tiny, less than a second, pause.

That's the reliability I want. As long as I feed them power and the hardware keeps working, they should just keep going and going. Windows simply don't deliver that, and can not deliver that, since Windows is built on the premise that reliability and security is something you add on to the operating system, not how you design it from the bottom up.

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-express-vs.aspx

Express 2013 for Windows
You can use the tools in Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows to create innovative and compelling Windows Phone and Windows Store apps on Windows 8.1. The tools include a full-featured code editor, a powerful debugger, a focused profiler, and rich language support that you can use to build apps that you write in HTML5/JavaScript, C++, C#, or Visual Basic. Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows also includes tools for Windows Phone 8.0 development, a device simulator that you can use to test Windows Store apps on multiple kinds of devices, and Windows Phone emulators that you can use to test how your Windows Phone apps will run on different devices.

Correct: VS Express 2013 :D

I'm using it for 6 months now and I have adapted some of my apps using httputils & Json (communicating with php on my server), up- and downloading pictures, using databases, etc. Works like a charm. The only thing is that it only works under WIN8 & up and you have to register. An yes, you can develop for XP, too.

There are different versions. I use the version to create non windows store applications (xx.exe)

If you want to use it for business then you have to get the full version. But that's normal.

I do think it's more an emotional discussion about Windows/Microsoft. Like Apple OS or Android. I prefer Android, others use Apple.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
evolution.png
@KMatel,
VS.net is B4X, so why should I retreat in the 'Chain of Evolution'?!! b4x is more intuitive and more powerful. but I need to maintain my old code written in vb6.

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
While I know MS has got a bad rap in the past and some of it deserved. I am thinking...
Visual Studio Community edition? Free win 10 upgrades? I think they are getting it right lately.
I like where they are going.

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
@JakeBullet70
Not to mention they're open sourcing stuff left and right.

Maybe @Erel should "borrow" some features :D from the .NET framework, since MS put up the framework's code on Github.