Windows CE5 & Basic4PPC

GerryKeely

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi
I have a Jointech JL7100(www.jointech.com.hk]) mini laptop which has windows CE 5 operating system and net framework 2 installed.The screen is 7", 800X480 pixels.
When I download BBC4PPC onto the device I get a message stating software is incompatible with the operating system.

If I compile a program on the desktop and download it to the laptop it runs ok .

Does anybody know if it is possible to get BBC4PPC to run on such a device or at least if its possible to display a full size screen on the laptop for programs compiled on the desktop.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Gerry

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
wich file are you downloading?
the msi file is destined to the desktop...
For the CE5 installation, you need to download the cab...wich is the device version...
Of course you will NOT be able to compile apps in your "laptop2...

GerryKeely

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi
Thank you for your replies
It is the device version of BBC4PPC which I tried to download.
As I understand it form resizing is only available on the desktop.

Regards

Gerry

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
On the device forms have the device's screen size.
That is not necessarily so on Windows CE devices. Pocket PC/Window Mobile devices are specified by Microsoft so should all be virtually identical as far as applications are concerned whereas for Windows CE devices the manufacturer can choose from a "bag of bits" (called Platform Builder) what he wants to include or not.

One of those things is the ability to have a Desktop that looks and behaves more like a Windows Desktop. Look at the OPs device here JoinTech - Mini Laptop This is probably the reason the OP wanted to change the form size as on his device it looks like a windowed form and not full screen. It may also be one of the reasons the device version of Basic4ppc won't run.

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there any way I could increase the form size on the laptop ??
I'm not sure what you mean. Did you try what Klaus said in post #2? In the IDE Form Designer select Tools->Screen size and set the height and width to those you want. That sets the size at design time. I suspect that you won't be able to set it at runtime because of the settings that a Basic4ppc form has - but I am not familiar with Windows CE.

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
When I download BBC4PPC onto the device I get a message stating software is incompatible with the operating system.
Are you able to install the application (e.g. the cab file) or do you get the error during installing?

If this is the case It could be due to the OS version mentioned in the .inf file
(the inf file is needed for the creation of the cab)

You could try to install the cab to a real ppc (or an emulator) and then copy the .exe to the "laptop" and see if it works...