[Wish] Please upgrade the online help

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is really cool. If you do a search for a keyword in the search box upper right on this forum then you get straight away a usually quite in-depth explanation right off the bat without having to delve futher.

Here is an example, just put the word CallSub in the search box and hit return (perhaps open a new tab so's you can continue to read my excellent post :) )

Look at that, straight away at the top Search Results: and a pretty good explanation of CallSub without having to go further but if you need to then there are loads of posts where people have used it, examples etc.

BUT... I was thinking, hmmm, I need to provide an argument.. I looked in lots of the links but nope, hmmm... wonder how I'd do that, then I asked NJ and straightaway he says 'CallSub2' ...AH! how obvious but when I'd searched for CallSub there was absolutely no mention of any CallSub2 or indeed CallSub3 or CallSubDelayed .... I'd like to see under that first helpful bit a 'See Also: ' section where CallSub2 would be a link, so would CallSub3 and CallSubDelayed.

I know online help is a massive undertaking, wonder if there is a way of allowing the online community to help with help?

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Same thing there, do a search for CallSub to see for yourself.

See what you mean though, how do we get logins for the wiki?

This of course means that the previous system that I mentioned would just have to stay the same without any 'see also' sections and that we should begin anew with the B4A Wiki.

While I don't mind adding to a central help repository with my experience as I go through the learning curve I still think it would be darned handy if the currently existing help had that 'see also' section because as it stands, unless you know the exact thing to search for, you won't find it.

If I could be granted a login to the wiki then I will try my best to update it with my findings as I go.
The key might be to treat it as your own personal help database so that you know if you put your findings in here then in the future when you need to remember how you did something, there it is. Plus of course you all are welcome to use it :)

Last edited: