Android Question xmodem-crc

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Anybody has implemented this old protocol in B4A?

I need to test it. If it is already available by someone, perfect. I will pay a virtual beer.

If not, I will have to do it myself, and share if someone asks for it (after being paid 2 virtual beers ;) )

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Try Kermit instead.
In 1992 I used Kermit and found it very fast.. extremely fast, I used it in DOS 6.22 electronic file submission and used
Hay's modem. Kermit was developed in Columbia University, NY. it also saved time for the insurance company servers
that were tied up by X-Modem slow submissions, and subsequently they recommended it to all eSubmitters.

Upvote 0

Daniel-White

Licensed User
Longtime User
Long militance between 300 baud modems. I was involved in a project in 1977 for a remote working site, from a Burroughs A2 main frame and they had a 1200 full duplex modem . A dream at those times. three video terminals and two printers on line AND IT WORKED !!!!
Nice, my first modem was 1200 bps Hayes. very big board, I will take silence, later the people say I am old haha.

Upvote 0

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Long militance between 300 baud modems. I was involved in a project in 1977 for a remote working site, from a Burroughs A2 main frame and they had a 1200 full duplex modem . A dream at those times. three video terminals and two printers on line AND IT WORKED !!!!
300/600/1200...that was speed :) I worked in the early 90's manufacturing devices with V21bis/V23 FSK modulation (300/600/1200) , programming directly the chip registers. Also the first HDSL modems and other comm devices.

That is very sad, the best one is Zmodem. :)
Yes, I think that the xmodem-crc was just an "improvement" for the lacks of the former x-modem. Then Y,Z...

JordiCP, I have a book with the Code in C for Zmodem, Xmodem and so on, perhaps you can exported to B4A. from Scratch.
I just wanted to save the time doing it ;)

Will have to raise the offer to more virtual beers ...

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In mid eighties I was doing crazy stuff, like programming the Z80 CPU board (that I constructed using a spaghetti of wires and jumpers
on cascaded breadboards. I wrote the code in Hex, directly using the CPUs instruction set.. the most difficult task was when I wanted
to jump to a subroutine.. then I needed to calculate the target address using pure binary additions and counting the bytes between the
two addresses, after putting current registers' values in the stack.. Todays programmers read this and see it as Chinese language.
I was so fascinated by the instruction "DJNZ" which means Decrement and Jump if Not equal to Zero.. used it loops.. in high-level languages
it's called For Next Loop. Another funny instruction was the "SEX" instruction in the Motorola 6809 which meant Sign EXtend, but was replaced
in subsequent CPUs, may be an ISIS manager became CEO of Motorola..
That was the time of real programming when we talked directly to the microprocessor.. we are now just wheel drivers who can't change a tire.
Thanks to our bus drivers like Erel. :)

Upvote 0

tigrot

Licensed User
Longtime User
I love assembly, I write for PIC's and Atmel. A medical portable laser with two Atmel microcontrollers, an pulsed light epilator with an amazing 2F capacitor at V 400. Now I have a metal detector for foods based on a 8 bit PIC. Lot of projects I cannot remember...
Yes Beja It's Chinese for most of today's programmers. Thanks to Erel for their efforts to keep the difficult things that simple !

Upvote 0

Daniel-White

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, I am not so prodigy like yours :eek:, I used assembly MASM, etc to disassemble Friday 13 virus using DEBUG.com , Ping Pong virus in my high school time, and did some nice stuff in assembly like resident programs, never virus (just in case) that is not the idea. now, I agree a lot, that was very amazing age. and the BBS using ANSI with 1200 bps and see how the monitor show little by little the info, who remember GOPHER and ARCHIE LoL , I will say good bye with one ATH0

Upvote 0