Android Question XUI CustomListView - Problem with GetScrollViewOffset

FrankBerra

Licensed User
Hi everyone
i am trying to add many items to index 0 of a XUI CustomListView and immediately after each item added i want to scroll to the previous offset, taking into consideration the height of the new added element.
For doing this i modified the original sub of CostomListView like this:

B4X:
Private Sub InsertAtImpl(Index As Int, Pnl As B4XView, ItemSize As Int, Value As Object, InitialSize As Int)

Dim InitialPosition As Float
Dim FinalPosition As Float
InitialPosition = GetScrollViewOffset

.........<Original code Here>.......

FinalPosition = InitialPosition + p.Height + IncludeDividierHeight
SetScrollViewOffset(FinalPosition)
Log("New Position: " & GetScrollViewOffset)
End Sub
The problem is that even if FinalPosition is a number greater than 0 the instruction GetScrollViewOffset give me always 0.
(The number of items in the CustomListView are dozens, so i can scroll manually trough them and i expect that SetScrollViewOffset(FinalPosition) works correctly)

How can i obtain the correct value from GetScrollViewOffset that i have just set?

Erel

Administrator
Staff member
Licensed User
i am trying to add many items to index 0 of a XUI CustomListView and immediately after each item added i want to scroll to the previous offset, taking into consideration the height of the new added element.
More information please. What exactly are you trying to do?

FrankBerra

Licensed User
I am trying to create an endless scrolling effect for a chat application.
When i scroll to the top (to the item to position 0) i want to add 50 more items before the item at index 0.
The point is that the item ad index 0 must be still visible when adding the other 50 items.
So my idea is to add an item at position 0 (with CLV.InsertAt(0, Panel, "ID")) and then immediately add to the scrollview an offset with the same height of the added item.
Hope you understood my bad english...

Erel

Administrator
Staff member
Licensed User
Why do you need to modify the class code?

Just insert all items with CLV.InsertAt(1, ...).

FrankBerra

Licensed User
Because if i add 50 items before other items that i am looking at, the items that i am looking at shift down ad disappear from the screen.
I want to avoid this.
So i modified the class as explained in the first post. The question still remains:
With the following 2 instructions
B4X:
SetScrollViewOffset(FinalPosition)
Log("New Position: " & GetScrollViewOffset)
if i set the new ScrollView Offset, why in the following instruction (GetScrollViewOffset) i get always 0?
Is there a delay from setting the offset to retrieving the offset again?
What makes me more frustrated is that If i execute the code in debug mode by placing some BreakPoints the code GetScrollViewOffset gives me the right expected value.

Last edited:

Erel

Administrator
Staff member
Licensed User
Updating InsertAtImpl is not a good idea.

Why not add all items and call CLV.JumpToItem to jump to the previously top item?

FrankBerra

Licensed User
After a lot o failures and attempts i found the following solution:
I discovered that B4XView supports rotation so i rotated the whole CLV by 180 degrees (CLV.AsView.Rotation=180) and started to insert single items rotated by 180 degrees too (so they look as not rotated).
If i scroll the CLV to the top in reality it is scrolling to the bottom and at this point i add a new element to the bottom that on the screen appears to the top.
I felt surprised and everything works PERFECTLY!

If in the future i decide to recycle the code in B4i does the rotation still works? (Sorry i can't test on iOS because i don't own one at the moment)

Erel

Administrator
Staff member
Licensed User
B4XView.Rotation works in all platforms. I haven't tried to rotate a ScrollView in iOS so I cannot say whether the behavior is identical. It probably will.