Android Question System App and Not retaining Firebase Notification Permissions

Kevin Hartin

Licensed User
OK people, I have been using Firebase Notifications in a number of apps and all is fine. When installed the phone asks for permission to use notifications and everything is fine from then on.

However I just added FB Notifications to a new app that is built as a proof of concept for our local Tourism Authority and I am seeing some strange behaviours.
  1. The app never asks for notification permissions
  2. when I go to set them manually, I find that the app is being recognized as a "System App", no other previous Apps are seen like this.
  3. the AVG antivirus on the phone is now flagging it as potential Malware, but I can use it when I tell it to ignore the warning
When I manually set the app permissions and then refresh the permissions page, it is again set to off.

I have a test in the app and I can see the receipt of Firebase Notifications in the logs, they are processed correctly, but the app cannot notify.

Attached is the App, register with any Bogus information and the Test is the Paper plane icon at the top of the Enter Data page.

Thanks,
Kev

Attachments

• SamoaStats.zip
    402 KB · Views: 54

jahswant

Licensed User
Longtime User
To request the new notification permission from your app, update your app to target Android 13.

Upvote 0