Android Question Image Metadata Saving/Retrieving... it's martian to me... I need someone to point me back to Earth!

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys,

It's been a while...

I'm in early stages of defining features for a GPS Camera Tag App.
I have decided to create such an app because the ones I have tried are either feature "bankrupted" or keep stealing the main purpose of the app by showing way too many ads!
So, amidst some of the features I want to include, is a floating panel above the camera image that will hold GPS info... But, What if I don't ant to show such panel but still save the GPS info?
So I started looking and googling at what MetaData and EXIF Data are, how to work with them, best practices and common standarts.... And its all Martian to me!!!
I understand that the most common way if to use a Json data tree... that parts, I think I can manage... but... how do I combine the camera image and this info?
Does it go in the end of the file, in the begining, does it need a header, etc?
I want to be able to load back into my app an image (jpg) saved by my app, with such info into it, and have the app show it back in the GPS floating panel...
Can anyone point me back to Earth?

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

or more recently

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Andrew,

So, if I understand correctly, when I do a "set" property, it writes if to the image file, no more extra manipulation needed, right?

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Beware that, if I remember correctly, the GPS co-ordinates are saved in a strange format in EXIF tags.
Some experimentation may be needed so don't use it on imporant images till you are sure it works.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Beware that, if I remember correctly, the GPS co-ordinates are saved in a strange format in EXIF tags.
Some experimentation may be needed so don't use it on imporant images till you are sure it works.
Thanks for the heads up!

Upvote 0