Android Question Accessing a root folder is definitely impossible in SDK33 ?

SDFP Studio

Licensed User
Good evening everyone :)
I am a bit worried. I have spent hours browsing the forum and I fear that it is now impossible to read the contents of a root folder.

Here is my problem:
My application saved user data in a root folder. \ABMusicTrainer
Since I released my new version with SDK33, on the most recent devices, not only can I no longer write but I can't even read.
So it is impossible to automatically transfer user data to a new private folder. It is as if the users had lost its data :eek:

I think SaveAs can't help me to transfert files.
ContentChooser does not allow to choose a directory? If so, could I copy all the files from this directory?

The only solution I see at the moment is for the users to copy all the files to rp.GetSafeDirDefaultExternal() themselves, not very well.

Is there a solution?
thank you
Francis

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The other possibility is to create a small migration app (it will have a different package name than your main app) that the users will side-load onto their device.

This migration app will have a lower targetSDK so it will be able to access your old data folder and it will simply copy the old data files to the new app data location, then the user can uninstall the migration app and run your main app, which will then have all it's data available.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes but with a lower SDK, no publishing on the store ?
Thats why I said your user would have to sideload the migration app apk (ie. from your website), because a lower targetSDK app can't be posted in the store.

Asking them to sideload the migration app will probably be easier for them to do, instead of them doing "copy all the files to rp.GetSafeDirDefaultExternal"

Last edited:
Upvote 0