Amazon Underground

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for this info.
Looks something new, but really couldn't understand even after I read it..
What's the difference between this model and the traditional? do customer play online instead of downloading it in their devices?

AHilton

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for this info.
Looks something new, but really couldn't understand even after I read it..
What's the difference between this model and the traditional? do customer play online instead of downloading it in their devices?

From what I understand of it (and I could be wrong) ...

This model pays the app developer for every minute that a user uses the app. A very small amount, but still an amount based on time. You're not paid on displaying (or relying on clicks on) ads. You're not paid on in-app purchases. In fact, you can't have those in your app.

Your app is used on the device just like normal. There's an Amazon Underground app that will be running on the device as well. I'm assuming that's the control app to know when your app is being run.

There are some requirements that I found interesting, too, such as ... Your app must exist already in a paid-for variety (in-app purchases, outright purchase).

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Hilton,

may be we need more information on this.
I assume they have their own ads.. otherwise what's the point? do you think they are putting underground app to just count the minutes for you and then pay you for that? :).. I don't buy that.

AHilton

Licensed User
Longtime User
Oh, I would imagine so, Beja. They're not likely going to do it out of the kindness of their hearts. All the information I have on this is in the link in Post #1. Like I said in that post ... I don't develop for the app stores and have no interest in it other than it just being a new and interesting new model I ran across.

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Oh, I would imagine so, Beja. They're not likely going to do it out of the kindness of their hearts. All the information I have on this is in the link in Post #1. Like I said in that post ... I don't develop for the app stores and have no interest in it other than it just being a new and interesting new model I ran across.
That looks great for the developer but for the user it's a different story. To benefit from the free install/use, you have to install first Amazon Underground on your device and this application needs almost all existing permissions. When you know that selling data about customers is one of the most profitable source of income of this industry, you understand that the product, it's you ! As an user, I don't want it on my devices. I don't want to share my emails, SMS, contacts, agenda, etc. with Amazon. Most users won't be aware of that or won't understand the risk. They will see only the advantage to get free apps/games. That's why, as a developper, I have to wonder whether it's ethical to offer such a choice to users.

mike9876

That looks great for the developer but for the user it's a different story. To benefit from the free install/use, you have to install first Amazon Underground on your device and this application needs almost all existing permissions. When you know that selling data about customers is one of the most profitable source of income of this industry, you understand that the product, it's you ! As an user, I don't want it on my devices. I don't want to share my emails, SMS, contacts, agenda, etc. with Amazon. Most users won't be aware of that or won't understand the risk. They will see only the advantage to get free apps/games. That's why, as a developper, I have to wonder whether it's ethical to offer such a choice to users.
Very well said. i agree with your view

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm wondering if perhaps Amazon is eventually planning on charging the end user a monthly subscription fee (sort of like Amazon Prime) for the Underground app store. That wouldn't be a bad model. Users pay like $5/mo for unlimited free apps (with no ads or IAPs), and developers get paid for time used.

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
Has anyone tried this? Is it possible to make Amazon Underground apps with B4A?

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I dont support amazon. Reason is if you put your app to their store for example , your app needs to pass $100 income FOR EACH COUNTRY in order to receive your money. For 2 years i couldnt get any payment altough i have about 1000$.