Deutsche Post, DHL.. ongoing problem

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
DHL Germany is holding my package for no reason..
Almost three weeks ago I sent a small package to a friend in Germany with US Post Express mail and I paid the expensive fee for delivery in 3 to 5 days.. -so far so good.
On arrival at the destination, German customs called that friend to come in person to the office.. then asked him to open the package.. there was an old and used GSM modem in the box and they asked him to present CE certification.. he didn't have it so they told him they will returned it to the sender.
That was on June 6, or 3 days after sending it from here. But since then the package is in the offices or warehouse of DHL in Germany and their tracking website is saying return initiated, and sometimes the package cleared customs and will be returned.. I contacted US Post and they requested update from DHL Germany twice but no answer as they told me..
Anyone knows about DHL-Germany practices or procedures? Thanks

Below is the DHL Germany tracking result..
the second picture is US Post tracking result.. please note US Post says the item could not be delivered because addressee requested to pick it up.. which was not true.
USPS3.png

USPS1.png

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Seems that the german customs may want taxes (or they want to see what's inside which only the receiver is allowed to show). I had this everytime I ordered something from the US. How much is it worth what you send? Up to 45€ (sent from a private person) is free, otherwise there will be taxes.

Ok, 20 days is very long... What did the receiver say? He/she should call dhl immediately. Which town did it go to?

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Seems that the german customs may want taxes (or they want to see what's inside which only the receiver is allowed to show). I had this everytime I ordered something from the US. How much is it worth what you send? Up to 45€ (sent from a private person) is free, otherwise there will be taxes.

Ok, 20 days is very long... What did the receiver say? He/she should call dhl immediately. Which town did it go to?

Hi KMatel, and thanks for the response and questions.
The declared value is less than $100. so I think tax or custom duties is not the issue.. it would be very minimum even that was the reason.
But they called the recipient and asked him to open the box, when he opened it, there was a GSM modem, they asked him for CE or FCC certificate because it was a wireless device,, he didn't have it.. then they told him, alright, since you don't have CE then the item will be returned to US. they didn't ask him for tax. So the recipient came to their offices. the US Post Service sent them request for item location information but they didn't reply to them. also just yesterday the recipient called them and the gave him general information that's published on their website (see the first image)..

charlesg

Licensed User
Longtime User
The whole thing is a big con. How many of the millions of products from the Far East that pour into Europe every year with CE markings have actually been through a rigorous testing procedure?

Years ago I was involved with a company that produced a telecoms add-on ISA board. Designed and made in the UK. We went through the full conformity assessment and we really struggled to get the board through EMC testing (a component of the CE mark regarding electromagnetic radiation). We eventually realized that the brand new all-complying HP computer was failing even without our board installed (maybe it was a Volkswagen :)). Having sorted that we eventually got our board to pass.

The really stupid part is that the regulations allow for a measure of self-assessment. So every board revision we made (all circuit boards are continuously revised) could be 'self-certified' by ourselves to conform even though we had no idea what changes the revisions had made to EM radiation.

Tomorrow we have a referendum here in the UK about continued membership of the EU. Just saying.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The whole thing is a big con. How many of the millions of products from the Far East that pour into Europe every year with CE markings have actually been through a rigorous testing procedure?

The really stupid part is that the regulations allow for a measure of self-assessment. So every board revision we made (all circuit boards are continuously revised) could be 'self-certified' by ourselves to conform even though we had no idea what changes the revisions had made to EM radiation.

Thanks charlesg for your contribution..
The problem here is not technical.. it's about customs can documents.. customs asked the recipient to provide CE certificate, and then told him he can't get it and they will return it to sender.. that was on June the 7th. Yet to this day I didn't receive it. 15 days after deciding to return it, and 3 weeks after I sent it with express mail (3 to 5 days).

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Shouldn't the sticker be enough to "proof" the FCC approval, or even CE? Even bad clones from China have them nowadays! Also, couldn't a certificate be demanded to the manufacturer ?

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Cableguy.. What I want now is just my package back.. they didn't tell him they will hold it until he provides the certificate, but they told him they will return it.. I now have no problem with their decision but I don't where the package is.. BTW: their website is not updated since June 7, and the tracking number is therefore of no use. they didn't respond to USPS 3 requests for information. USPS sent them inquiry on June 14th. and yet to receive anything. I don't have their phone number otherwise I would have to call them (DHL Germany) because tracking number is displaying the same information since June 7.
Thanks Cableguy

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Here's the tracking history.. it stuck on June 10, 2016

DHL2016.png

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear KMael,
Believe me I am not challenging their decision to return it.. I just want to know where is it now and when am I going to get it back.. I paid express mail for 3 days and now 3 weeks passed and counting. They decided not to give it to the recipient.. ok with me.. but I want it back.

Thanks again.

eurojam

Licensed User
Longtime User
one thing is important: when shipping anything from the states to germany or europe, put a pro forma invoice to the items you ship. That was the first thing they asked: what is the value of that item. The second question will be: is that any electronic stuff where is the CE sign... it seems that they want to bother you with unimportant stuff...:oops:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks eurojam,
All these issues like absence of certificates or documents are now behind us.. if you followed this thread I am only concerned about the package now.. where is it and when DHL Germany will send it back to me and why they are keeping it all this time.

Last edited:

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe you could write that if the goods are not returned to you within xx days you will charge dhl the full cost of the item or take them to Court for having "stolen" it...
Usually that kind of aggressive mood makes things go faster.. sadly.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I cannot help myself from wondering how many "lost" packages these companies have per year...
I can only compare them to the airport luggage belt surveyors ... and the good people end up saying... "I could swear I putted it in!"

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yesterday I googled a little bit and found so many cases with the exact same problem with DHL in Germany.
This one is not and can not be lost.. see the tracking screenshot above.. if it wasn't returned then it's stolen. I bought insurance and it was certified mail, but I am just talking about this strange practice.. a few moments ago I talked to USPS and they said they still didn't receive information from Germany, and they have maximum time to reply by June 30. Next time I will use UPS (No DHL no USPS).

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Two years ago I've found a note from dhl in my mailbox because I was at work when they tried to deliver a parcel. Usually they give it to the neighbours (otherwise there is no other option except to pick it up at the post office). At this day I could read "your parcel was put in your paper collection bin" :eek: Thank's god they didn't empty it that day. Another one "you parcel is behind your bikes" (thank's god that noone else has stolen it).

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Haha.. I remeber the old good days when raw milk vendor left the aluminum jar at the door. Today selling raw milk in US is illegal (federally and in many stats ), why? speaking politically incorrect, to protect the mega factories producing processed milk.. in a word, all's about big money. the corporate-controlled government wants farmers be famers only, or milk producers.. but when it comes to marketing and management then the nice people, the master who's shoes didn't got stained with mud will do this job.. in order to make it politically correct then they introduced the laws of pasteurization, and all the flavors.. skim milk, half and half, low fat, whole milk.. and so on. please google for poor farmers whose milk was poured by the hundreds of gallons in front of them

Reactions: udg