[ Feature Request ] - HW Accelerated LWP

bloxa69

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think it's time for B4A to have hardware accelerated Live Wallpapers. B4A is such a great and easy development environment with excellent support, it's shame it lags behind in this very popular among our app users area.
I am trying to implement this myself as a library, but don't have knowledge or time to aquire it so I could wrap or create a new library in Java. (Actually, that's the main reason I am using B4A - Java is just not my cup of tea.)

At the moment I am trying to adapt existing GLSurfaceView provided by B4A OpenGL library, for use within a live wallpaper. (Info here: How to Use OpenGL ES 2 in an Android Live Wallpaper | Learn OpenGL ES) Didn't go far with it yet but I tested GLSurfaceView from within Live Wallpaper Service provided by the current B4A LWP libray and it works without errors. Just one thing left is to override getHolder() to call [WallpaperService.Engine].getSurfaceHolder() to get the surface that’s associated with the live wallpaper and draw on it (or attach GLSurfaceView to it? - forgive my ignorance if it's nonsense), as current B4A OpenGL library requires an Activity to add/attach its display to it and is not designed to work from within a Service.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. A working library or class even more so.

:sign0163: