iOS Question iOS Certificate Renewal

RichardN

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have just been through the process of renewing my iOS certificates this year and I can say that even having done it before I took me 3 or 4 attempts to get it right before I could compile & deploy debug/store correctly. The tutorial video is ~OK~ but this process really seems to confuse so many here that the subject would benefit from a flowchart containing the correct steps through B4i together with detailled instructions on the options to tick on the various dialogues through the Apple certificate site. The Apple site is so centric to developers carrying out the process through xCode that it is counterintuitive to others.

This was my first certificate renewal so I had a few questions in my mind that I eventually found the answers to. For those of you in a similar position these are quotes from the Apple Developer's site:

Not surprisingly...
Apple Developer Program membership is required to request, download, and use signing certificates issued by Apple

No rush to renew unless you plan to update a version
iOS Distribution Certificate (App Store)
If your Apple Developer Program membership is valid, your existing apps on the App Store will not be affected. However, you will no longer be able to submit new apps or updates to the App Store.

However...
iOS Distribution Certificate (in-house, internal use apps)
Users will no longer be able to run apps that have been signed with this certificate. You must distribute a new version of your app that is signed with a new certificate.