I've tried PSVR and the Rift so far....wow, the future is here!

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Last week I tried the Rift at a store in London, that was amazing, not very interactive experiences, but enough to convince me that with the right PC it would be amazing to have at home.

Today on the way to work, I stumbled across a PSVR demo at Kings Cross station, they asked if I had ten minutes spare and I said "for this... of course!!!" and jumped right in.
Here's the cheesy image they do before you have a go:
http://photobooth.software.eu.plays.../AW4tEoDaps/PlayStation_VR_Live_Your_Game.gif

then I got to try it out, I played Eve valkerie, that was amazing, totally smooth, I was flying around mother-ships chasing down enemy fighters, barrel rolling, dodging incoming fire, it was intense, I kepy looking behind me and above me to track the enemies too, which felt totally natural although you obviously can't do that at home on a TV.

I need a VR headset, this is the future!

Now I just need to finish the Android games I'm writing to get enough cash to buy into VR!

An Schi

Licensed User
I have to admit that i haven't got the chance to try it yet.

But my experience with cinema isn't that good. Avatar blew my mind and i watched some movies after it with 3d. But the feeling decreased over time and now i prefer to watch the non-3d-versions...:confused:

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
totally agreed, VR is totally different to 3D cinema. For a start you have a different screen per eye rather than filtering out each image using glasses which is how the cinema works.

You just need to try it to know what I mean, but when ever I see someone comparing VR to 3D cinema or TV it's obvious to me they've not tried real VR.
I sound like I'm quoting the matrix here, but you can't be told what VR is, you have to experience it for yourself.
When I think back to my demo of PSVR or the Rift, I don't remember looking at a screen, I remember it like I was really there, in another world.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
That looks good, there's loads of content appearing every day. Now there's hundreds of VR apps and games on steam already. PSVR has launched with a good line up of software and has loads more coming out soon.

I remember trying VR in the early 90s, it was okay, I was thought it was amazing at the time, but I did think then that it would get better in the future. Then VR kind of disappeared from the main stream. Now it's finally back and in a big way. It's so exciting I can hardly believe it's happening. I already can't wait for the second generation of headsets, they're going to be unreal.