Joining the 3D printing club!

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys,

So, finally Santa decided to grant me a wish, and it even came early.
I got myself a brand new Creality Ender 3.

I already assembled the machine, and downloaded Fusion360, Blender and Cura... (Do I need something else?)

Got a 1Kg black PLA to play with...
Time to start enjoying and amaze some unbelievers.

amidgeha

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm sure you'll enjoy it for a long time. You might need a 3D scanner (if you can afford to buy one). Since you are a programmer, learning G-Code is a lot of fun too and simple to send to a serial port of Arduino with stepper motor controller.

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
Enjoy it ! Mine is the Ender 2, bought two years ago.
During 1 year it was sleeping in a closet, and last month, I've printed a specific tool for the house and it printed fine at first attempt without doing anything more than insert the SD card with the gcode model!!

I use Fusion 360 (and tinkercad for simplest objects) and Simplify 3D

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
around here a busines is printing humans
yes, printing you in 3D.

charlesg

Licensed User
Longtime User
All programmers will love openSCAD. Had my Ender 3 just over a year. A whole bundle of fun.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm completely new to 3D CAD design, I always did my designs by hand with a pen(cil) and paper.
I'm having a very hard time getting thing as I want them in fusion 360...
Is it right to say that, after extruding a sketch, all physical dimensions become unchangeable, like a rectangle, after converted to a 3D body by extrusion can no longer be altered in its base dimensions?

Last edited:

charlesg

Licensed User
Longtime User
You have hit the nail on the head. You can size objects parametrically in both Fusion and Blender but it is not intuitive. I can respect Blender but, I am afraid, not Fusion. Both have big learning curves. Here is a 32mm sliding door runner that I knocked up in openSCAD this morning.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I downloaded OpenSCAD, and although I can see myself using it, it will take a lot of time to get a grips with it...
In the meantime, I gave Fusion360 another try and this was the end result:
(This will be a craddle for another print)

D

Deleted member 103

Hi @Cableguy ,
welcome to the 3d printer world.
Why did you choose this 3d printer?
For the same price you could have bought an "Anycubic i3 Mega" in which the assembly takes less than 5 minutes.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @Cableguy ,
welcome to the 3d printer world.
Why did you choose this 3d printer?
For the same price you could have bought an "Anycubic i3 Mega" in which the assembly takes less than 5 minutes.
It was a Christmas gift, even though I did choose this one, mainly because of all the feedback I read and watched.
Assembly took about 20 mins, and my first test print came out perfect.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…