Misleading errors when compiling

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I can't find the original thread, but I remember talking about getting misleading (or just unhelpful) error messages when compiling. Erel had asked for an example and I ran into one today.

I had commented out a sub but I accidentally left the End Sub statement in. When I compiled, I got the error:

Compiling code. Error
Error parsing program.
Error description: Stack empty.
Occurred on line: 676
End Sub

This one was really easy to spot, but there have been other times where it was a bit more difficult to find the problem.

In this case, I would probably expect something along the lines of "End Sub without Sub declaration". I imagine it would be a huge task to cover for all types of mistakes, but...... :eek:

Roger Garstang

Licensed User
Longtime User
I had this very error the other day and was confused for about a half hour. I had been testing Event Subs with typing "Sub" then Space, Tab and accidentally left a sub all by itself in the code. I switched to another module and was coding for a while then all of a sudden the code highlighting went nuts. It was doing strange stuff, so I thought there was some kind of glitch or B4A ran out of memory or something. When I restarted B4A all modules had code in red. I was freaking out thinking I had somehow corrupted my project file.

I then decide to compile just to see what would happen and got that error. I wasn't aware of the wiki, and it was actually opposite in my case, but knowing a stack is usually used in subs/functions for keeping and passing parameters I figured something was wrong with a sub and finally found my lonely sub line. The main thing I thought odd was how one module error caused highlighting issues in all modules. A better error would have said Error Parsing ModuleName instead of Program.

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've had strange code highlighting problems myself, and often times it has happened without something actually wrong with the code. Every time it happens I try to duplicate it so I can report it but I either can't get it to repeat or I can't remember exactly what I had done.

Just the other day I had copied a sub and pasted it above the original one and suddenly it showed all of the variables as undeclared even though they were. I fixed the incorrect colors by going over each variable. I forget exactly what I did but one by one they returned to the proper color for a declared variable.

I've seen quite a few different glitches like this but as I said, I can't duplicate them.

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
Because I can be sloppy sometimes, I got another one. This one was a bit more tricky to figure out and is probably a good example of a really misleading error...

Compiling code. Error
Error compiling program.
Error description: Unknown member: enabled
Occurred on line: 406
chkShowOnNow.Enabled = True : chkShowOnNow.Text = "Show 'On Now' info in notification"
Word: enabled

The line in question:
B4X:
chkShowOnNow.Enabled = True : chkShowOnNow.Text = "Show 'On Now' info in notification"

The actual cause (which was actually on line 631):

B4X:
Sub chkShowOnNow
 '.... Sub contents
End Sub

' I forgot the _Click part for the checkbox click event through a copy/paste mishap!

Sub chkShowOnNow_Click
 '.... Sub contents
End Sub

So apparently that mistake caused the compiler to think chkShowOnNow was a sub rather than a checkbox. :eek: