Bug? New Project dialog not guaranteed to show up within screen coordinates

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
At work I use a big monitor, but today I had to work from home so I decided to RDP to my office workstation. The laptop at home obviously has a smaller screen, and when connecting using RDP, windows are resized to match my local screen. I'm sure most who has used RDP knows what I'm talking about, this is all standard behaviour.

While most things(*) work fine in the IDE with the resize of the IDE window, I seem to have stumbled on a show-stopper. I'm unable to make a new project as the dialog for that is shown outside my screen. (To illustrate: Let's assume I'm at my office desk with large monitor, I create a new project and place the dialog bottom right on the screen before pressing OK. Now I'm at home, with small screen, but the IDE still places the dialog according to the X and Y pos for the large monitor.) I know the dialog opens because the UI of the IDE becomes unresponsive. If I press Escape to close the off-screen dialog the UI becomes responsive again. This is repeatable.

I've looked through the IDE settings below, but was unable to find anything that relates to the position of that dialog:
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Anywhere Software\B4J\b4xV5.ini

At the moment I don't know any workaround other than taking an existing project in Explorer, duplicate it, open it in B4J and strip away things to make it sort-of-new.

(*) Most, but not all: One thing I saw was that the pane for Log didn't resize within its parent, which means that the bottom buttons (Clear etc) doesn't show up. A restart of the IDE fixed that. The restart did not solve the New Project dialog issue above.)

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It took a while to make my brain parse "taskbar" as taskbar and not B4J icon. But once that happened, it worked as expected. Windows shoves the New Project dialog into the screen (in a really big size, even) so it's possible to access it.

I still think it's fair to consider this a bug in the IDE though. Good that the OS had a workaround. Thanks!