Android Question PDF Viewer vs Print Out

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
My app produces reports as PDFs and they look perfect when viewing.

Some of my users have reported that when they go to print the PDF sometimes data gets chopped off.

I have had other users say that they have been able to fix this we printer settings.

Just wondering if this is a sizing problem and if there anyway I can fix this by putting something in the PDF to make them look just as good on the printer as they do in the PDF.

Any Ideas?

BobVal

MicroDrie

Licensed User
There may be several reasons why letters in a line are not printed. Firstly, there is a difference between A4 or Letter size, which means that the PDF created on the printer set to A4 or Letter size is different with those of the printer.

Another cause may be in the left and right margins of both the PDF and those which are used in the printer.
The smartest solution is to ask the user to enable the "Adjust to page width" option in the chosen printer driver for an automatic adjustment, or otherwise use the hard way with try and error to select the "Scale" option to fit the print to fit.

There are so many different printers with so many (im)possibilities that a program solution for all those printers is not possible in practice. To help your users, you could generate a PDF that contains a plus sign on the left and right margins both above and below as a test page that uses little ink / toner to test the correct setting of the printer.

Upvote 0

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks. This is what I thought.

I was hoping maybe there was a command that I could insert at the start of a PDF that would tell the printer to "Scale to size" (which is usually one of the printer settings).

Such is life, with so many different printers out there.

Thanks again for your input

BobVal

Upvote 0