B4J Question Pine64, Android, Lollipop, and Ubuntu

johndb

Licensed User
Longtime User
I bought a 64bit Pine64 https://www.pine64.com/ through their Kickstarter campaign some time ago to determine its suitability for the B4X development platform and it finally arrived. I thought I would share my initial experiences with the 64 bit card. The one that I bought has 2 gb RAM which is important as the 512mb RAM units aren't an option when running Android and Linux platforms. I also purchased the Bluetooth/Wireless module.

I heard that running Android on the Raspberry PI/2 was very sluggish. I installed Pine64's Android 5.1.1 image and found the boot and operational speed very good. Not quite a fast as my native android devices but very, very acceptable. Installed my apks that I developed with B4A and they worked without a problem. Display speeds are very good as some of my B4A developed software uses graphics quite heavily.

Next, I installed Pine64 Ubuntu 16.04. I had to install java runtime manually as it isn't installed out of the box so to speak but installation was painless. Installed B4J-bridge, connected the Pine64 using B4J bridge, and ran a few programs in debug mode without any problems.

My experiences to date but so far so good. BTW: I plugged a 1.5tb USB drive and of course Ubuntu mounted it automatically and without the need of a separate power supply as PIs require!

Last edited:

rwblinn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for sharing.
FYI: I ordered the kit late last year and awaiting to arrive. Your information sounds positive - very good. As soon as I get the kit, will also share experience.

Upvote 0

giannimaione

Licensed User
Longtime User
wow!
i have a Raspberry PI/2, but Pine64 is wonderful!
I am waiting to buy in Italy

Upvote 0