Reading the Title and Artist field out of ID3V2.3 tags of an MP3

ericvanderhoeven

Licensed User
Longtime User
Guys,

after reading Erel's example for reading ID3V1 tags (which works :sign0098:)

I need the same simple job done on the most common of tags = ID3V2.3

I only need to read Title and Artist. The reason for the ID3V2 over ID3V1 is the limitation of length in ID3V1; I simply lack the space to put up to several pages of text in there.

I will need to read these tag strings, defined under id3v2.3.0 - ID3.org =
4.2.1 TIT2 [#TIT2 Title/songname/content description]
4.2.1 TOPE [#TOPE Original artist(s)/performer(s)]

ID3V1 looks relatively simple as the tags are at fixed positions and have fixed length. This flex length format of ID3V2 drives me nuts :sign0148:

I am also not entirely sure whether to use a string or something longer (?) as I can not easily find out if there actually is a maximum length of these fields.

I am hoping someone can give me the start I need to crack this one.

Thanks

Eric

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Oh ok, I'm not sure but I think someone wrote a library to do that, it was a while ago can't remember exactly, search the forum you might find it.

EDIT TO ADD: I think is THIS one but not sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ericvanderhoeven

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the help so far

Oh ok, I'm not sure but I think someone wrote a library to do that, it was a while ago can't remember exactly, search the forum you might find it.

EDIT TO ADD: I think is THIS one but not sure.

Thanks for the help so far but I've already read these posts. Arthurya provided segments of the code but I can't get that specific code to work as it is missing the declaration of some of the variables.. At the moment my experience resides in copy/pasting from others and trying to make sense of it all. I hope to get to a point where filling in the blanks on e.g. Arthurya will be a skill set I am comfortable with. At the moment I'm just a newbee :signOops:

Upvote 0