Receiving and Playing Bluetooth Audio?

woodpecker

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Folks,

I have a bluetooth dongle that transmits audio over bluetooth, I think it uses a headset type profile, I normally use it paired with a bluetooth earphone but would like instead to pair it with my Android App and get the audio from the phone earphone jack, is this possible?

TIA

woodpecker

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well this does pose multiple questions. First thing is how can you decode the audio stream from the bluetooth device. First try saving the stream to file and see what you get.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Trouble is I am a total noob and don't know where to start.

There is an Android app called airbubble that uses the phone as a wireless receiver although this seems to play audio which has been wifi streamed to it from a Mac or Windows PC acting as a server.

Its not quite what I want but heading in the right direction.

I have a bluetooth transmitter which is sending audio (I think it uses a headset profile or can use A2DP), normally you would pair this with a bluetooth headset, so in effect the bluetooth is just a virtual audio cable.

I want to use the Android phone in place of the headset so the virtual audio cable connects from the BT transmitter to the phone, I would then like to be able to listen to this audio using wired earphones plugged into the phone jack socket, it would also be nice to record the audio to SD card as well.

:sign0085:

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I dont think an Android device can be used as an A2DP Sink.
and I cannot find much information about how to do it either.
There is some talk of the BlueZ bluetooth stack in current versions of Android not supporting this (however if they upgraded to the latest version it is possible).

Upvote 0

woodpecker

Licensed User
Longtime User
I dont think an Android device can be used as an A2DP Sink.
and I cannot find much information about how to do it either.
There is some talk of the BlueZ bluetooth stack in current versions of Android not supporting this (however if they upgraded to the latest version it is possible).

After a bit of a google I found a few things that imply BlueZ can act as an A2DP sink, I found this article from 2 years ago:-

BlueZ now has A2DP Sink support | jprvita’s weblog

It still leaves me none the wiser as where to even start with this

Any Ideas?

Upvote 0