Reporting...

Tex8503

Licensed User
Longtime User
Has anyone figured out how to do any sort of reporting via PDF or crystal reports on the PC end?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The way I see it, you have a few options.
The fist of wich can be used in conjuction with the second
-You can use my ExcelWriter Module, to create an Excel file and then shel it to print ob a PDF Batch printer
-You can use the RTF Dll to create a formated report, and use it's printing capabilities to print to a PDF Batch printer

Cristal reports as far as I Know, as the possibility to be scripted grom VB, so it sould be a matter of Parsing the code, as I have done with my ExcelWriter...

Tex8503

Licensed User
Longtime User
Interesting ideas.

I'm working on a packaged application that I can resell to my clients - so whatever option I end up going with must be covered under licensing models that would let me achieve that goal.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My ExcelWriter does not need Excel to be present or installed in the PC, and can even be used in the device end...
There are a few PDF Printer that are Freeware, even for comercial purposes...

So you are most surtenly able to get a complete package without any other fees than your own..

Tex8503

Licensed User
Longtime User
Cableguy - Thanks for your help! I'll have to see if I can't cobble something together using your ExcelWriter code and a freeware PDF printer. This might be the way I end up going as it sounds the most straightforward than some of the crazy ideas I had.

Eventually I want (or hope someone else wants) to write a wrapper for a PDF api/dll of some sort to build this functionality in. The ability to be able to use some of the graphics libraries to build charts and graphs and then print to PDF would be great (maybe I can do this with your library - I'm not even sure)

Again, thank you for your help!

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The ability to be able to use some of the graphics libraries to build charts and graphs and then print to PDF would be great (maybe I can do this with your library - I'm not even sure)

Sorry, but my ExcelWriter still does not produce garphics, as it is not "parseable" easily...
If you need graphics, then I suggest you use the RTF Dll, wich can place graphics in the text.

Last edited:

Tex8503

Licensed User
Longtime User
Cableguy - No worries - that's ok. I'm still working on core functionality for my app but we're trying to make it as self-contained as possible so the reporting piece, while a ways off, will be important.

Thanks!