B4i Library SizeToFit routines (MeasureStringWidth, MeasureStringHeight, MeasureMultilineStringHeight)

Routines to adjust a label to fit its text/adjust text size to fit a label:
* SizeToFitWidth - given a width (and using the label's font), adjust the label's height
* SizeToFitHeight - given a height (and using the label's font), adjust the label's width
* SizeFontToFit - given some text for the label (and using the label's width/height), adjust the label's fontsize so that the text fills the label
* MeasureExpectedSize - Returns Width/Height/FontSize (type SizeToFit_Metrics) for a label that hasn't yet been added to a parent view
* getFontSize & setFontSize - cross-platform subs to get/set the fontsize for a label

These routines will work under Android or IOS leading to a little more portability for developers supporting Apps running on both platforms. I've not tested on B4J.
Android version is at https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...ingheight-measuremultilinestringheight.84069/

They can be used in place of or in conjunction with other routines like SizeToFit, MeasureStringHeight, MeasureStringWidth, MeasureMultilineStringheight etc.

Note that the attached is not a library - it's a code module with accompanying test/demo.

Attachments

• iSizeToFit v3.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you!

Misterbates

Licensed User
Uploaded v2 into first post.
Bugfixes, code cleanups (to move platform dependent stuff into utility routines) plus a few new subs:
* MeasureExpectedSize - Returns Width/Height/FontSize (type SizeToFit_Metrics) for a label that hasn't yet been added to an activity/view
* getFontSize & setFontSize - cross-platform subs to get/set the fontsize for a label

I wanted the ability to calculate layout positions *before* programmatically adding labels to activities/panels. In IOS it makes no difference whether a label has been added to a parent; in Android it *does* make a difference, so I added MeasureExpectedSize for cross-platform portability.

Misterbates

Licensed User
Uploaded v3. Bugfixes:
  • MeasureExpectedSize adjusted so that if both Width and Height are zero, it'll return the smallest values (for both) that will fit the text

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…