SMTP Service

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Does anyone know of a good SMTP service to use ?

I looked at SendGrid and they seem to be good and works fine in my B4J app. However, they charge my credit card each month and the bank seem to charge me a surcharge since they charge international fees.

I was hoping to use a service that I just pay per year to save me getting charged on my credit card each month.

Anyone used any other SMTP services that can share there experience?

Aiming to send around 1000-2000 emails per month using my B4J app.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I suggest to get an account at any domainprovider, register your own domain and use the smtp from your provider.

I am using a Webhosting at All-Inkl.com (it´s a German Provider)

I do use the Premium Hosting plan 9,95 Euro/Month... But the cheater ones should do the trick too

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
suggest to get an account at any domainprovider,
I am currently doing that, but the issue is that they limit you how many emails you can send per hour.

I might only need to send 50-60 per hour, but there are times where it needs to send like 500-600 per hour.

Going to use it for service notifications to customers and password resets etc in my B4J app.

I am also finding some emails are not going through and if they do sometimes they are delayed when using domain hosting providers. I have tried a number of different providers. Using the free SendGrid seems to work quite well except when I need to go off the free plan they require payments by credit card.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For the notifications part, wouldn't MQTT be a better choice?

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Another option: services like Mailchimp which expose APIs.
Here just one of them.
These are guaranteed to not be black-listed due to hight volume of mails.

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
For the notifications part, wouldn't MQTT be a better choice?
I am needing to send an email to the customer from the B4J app.

Rent a VPS, setup your own emailprovider and send the messages here then.
Yeah I was thinking of doing that. I already have 2 VPS running and was planning on using one of them with a email server on it. Just something I need to look at how to set one up. I have watched a few YouTube videos on how to set one up.

Another option: services like Mailchimp which expose APIs.
I was thinking of Mailchimp, but wasn't sure if they have a SMTP or API that allowed me to use a a HTML page and send it as a email like you can do with SendGrid. I thought Mailchimp was more of a mailing list like type email service that you can email in bulk to your customers like a newsletter etc. I will have another look at it.