Android Question Somebody has experienced extended usage of Google map

jcredk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,
I need to design a kind of "document viewer" that could be used to browse detailed documents.
During my analysis, I found an excellent article on a blog (here) dealing with the usage of google map api while browsing other things thatn just maps ...

This seems an interresting approach for my project but leads to several questions:
- Do you think it's a possible approach with B4A with the google map api library?
- Did you already experienced this?
- Do you think that there is a way to "calibrate" the google map api local cache size on the device? For instance: I would like to be able to set it in a smart way so that one document fully fit in the cache size (on SD card), but also be able to clean the cache if the document is upgraded on the server ... also ensuring to keep a "high level zoom" view of each doc would be nice!

So many questions! But if it could avoid me to reimplement such mechanism it make sense :)
Any advice is welcome!

Thx
Jo

PS: My documents (electronic version of printed high quality brochures) goes from 20MB PDFs up to 100MB when looking at sources (eps file types), and I may have up to 50~100 such docs on a device. Devices are from a pool of controled devices where 100MB * 100docs = 10GB can be ensured as available on SD cards ...

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You have i think two options:

A custom tile set for each image, UrlTileProvider and an internet based server serving the custom tiles is probably the easiest way to go.

Martin.

Upvote 0

jcredk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks warwound for the answer.
I have the solution to make the tiles ==> then I have 256*256 png tiles with x, y, z coordinates system.
And like you, I believe only tiles are manageable in term of memory use I will not put one huge image to work with :)
I will carefully read your other topic (http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/googlemapsextras.26277/page-3#post-191301) and will continue the discussion there (if not self explanatory) ...
Thx

Upvote 0