Other SpeechToText advice needed

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

I read the most recent threads about STT on the forum, but my enquiry refers to a specific use case, so I start this thread in order to colllect some hints by those that actually used existing libraries/solutions for their projects to better understand which way to go.

The context I'll use the STT feature: a semi-automated order taking station/app

1. the needed vocabulary is clearly limited (items and quantities plus some commands)
2. speaker-indipendent, Italian language, able to overcome pronunciation defects (at some degree)
3. if used as a "tablet kiosk" Android-only will be ok; if they ask me to incorporate the solution in an app then Android/iOS
4. Off-line is preferred but not required. Dependable result is what counts most.

As of point #2 above, a real plus could be the possibility to switch from Italian to at least a second language (let's say English) but it's important to consider that the pronunciation of words/phrases will be just approximately correct.

TIA for your hints and suggestions.

udg

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've used this fairly succesfully to control a speech to text app.
However in identifying commands I needed to cater for some homophones to get it reliable. If you are only looking for a limited vocabulary then it should be fine

B4X:
        Case "two", "to", "too"
            edtContent.Text = edtContent.Text & " TWO"
            Sleep(WaitMs)
            edtContent.Text = Content & "2"
        Case "three", "free"
            edtContent.Text = edtContent.Text & " THREE"
            Sleep(WaitMs)
            edtContent.Text = Content & "3"
        Case "four", "for", "fork"
            edtContent.Text = edtContent.Text & " FOUR"
            Sleep(WaitMs)