Android Question Tablet resolution

Peekay

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a Samsung A7 tablet 2022 model and the spec says its resolution is 1200x2000 at 224 dpi.
However, when I fill the screen on the dark grey part of the designer, the views are larger than the screen when I define the Variant as 1200x2000.
It seems that the dark grey area is about 10% larger than the tablet screen.
I defined the Variant with a 1.0 scale, as you cannot select dpi on the Other radio button.
I have found this often with other devices, and I need to understand what is happening.
Normally the About button on the tablet gives the resolution, but I have been unable to find it on this tablet.
All I could find was that it is set to 6x5, whatever that may mean in terms of resolution. It is clear what it means in terms of icon sizes.

Thanks
PK

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Did you try 1.4 as the scale factor?
Anyway, I generally use only the sandard variant with anchors and some scripting.

Upvote 0

Brian Dean

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that you would agree that most developers are trying to design a layout that will look attractive on as wide a range of device resolutions as possible. The Layout Designer has been developed to meet this requirement. Using it to design a layout for a single, very specific, screen resolution, as you are, means that you are fighting against this design ethic.

There are many posts on this forum about designing for specific variants and the answers tend to have one suggestion in common - don't use variants. As @udg implies, even if you set up a 1200x2000 variant you will probably get easier results by using anchors than by trying to calculate the width and height of every individual view.

Variants can be useful when designing portrait and landscape alternatives, such as "top-and-bottom" and "side-by-side" layouts, and sometimes when having two different layout styles for small and large screens. I think that those are the only situations where they should be used.

As for the dark grey area, it is a mystery to me too. Don't worry about it.

Upvote 0