What is a Donate button really worth?

Starchild

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a donation button on some of my free apps, i just only received 1 donation from an user in more than 3 years, then i offered an InAppPurchase that gives: unlockable premium content + no ads, i received 9999% more revenue with this strategy.

I think we also need to know how to sell or generate profit with our work. you can offer a free app, we can give the user the posibility to have more features, if the user likes your app, will like more if he can have more PREMIUM or EXTRA content/features for a small amount.

Sorry my bad english.

Regards.

Apart from programming languages, I can only speak English. I am trying to learn French, but this would have been much easier when I was younger. "Your English is Very Good".

Thanks for your feedback regarding Donate buttons and In-App-Purchases.
This information and comparison is what I was looking for.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Then when you realize a week or two later that it has a slow drip he charges you again to come back and fix it. As software programmers our skill set and knowledge base must be so much less than that of a plumber. Apparently. Don't forget how we usually are expected to offer unlimited warranties as and when bugs show up.
A friend once told me that his software company always wrote a clause into the contracts which said something like : after the software had been signed off by the client following a window period for testing and verification, a maintenance fee of Xzar would be charged per line of code added or changed (ie corrections and bug fixes). You can see from that, that clients were encouraged to ensure they got what they asked for and it was correct in its output : in the first place. They just didn't believe in the latent defect concept.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Most, if not all, the old sw in the 80's had a clause that read something like:
"the customer buys the product "as is" aknowledging that the manufacturer has no obligation..."
Anyway the concept of a time window for testing/verification and final acceptance is an honest and valid one, IMHO. I would consider an additional point where to specify that eventual bugs discovered by a customer after the testing time frame or by other customers will be taken care in an eventual subsequent release of the product.

Starchild

Licensed User
Longtime User
A friend once told me that his software company always wrote a clause into the contracts which said something like : after the software had been signed off by the client following a window period for testing and verification, a maintenance fee of Xzar would be charged per line of code added or changed (ie corrections and bug fixes). You can see from that, that clients were encouraged to ensure they got what they asked for and it was correct in its output : in the first place. They just didn't believe in the latent defect concept.
A recent software project I completed, had a 1 month debug (hand-over) period but had a vague contract clause that I must provide reasonable support within 12 months of acceptance. Assuming this was for bug fixes, I had no trouble with offering warranty on my work. But they started requesting functional changes as their own connected hardware product evolved. My support went on for a few months but I eventually realized that the "end-point" was actually a "vanishing-point". I wanted to continue supporting them. I just wanted to be paid for my time.

I agree with;
.... that eventual bugs discovered by a customer after the testing time frame or by other customers will be taken care in an eventual subsequent release of the product.

We need to make sure we are going to get paid for the work we do.

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can you provide any details? Say estimate of Dollars/Euros per year, or even number of donations per year.
Let me think.. usually around USD$25 USD$50 USD$80, I'm not doing donations each year sorry..

My thinking about donations and payments:
If I'm doing business and someone helped me to solve a problem for my business then I have to do a donation or payment, small or much how I can (or want, also is OK ;) ).
Full stop.

Maybe you could create a poll to ask about donations or payments.. (sorry I haven't read all the comments in this topic yet..)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
79 euros since 2017 till today :)

(I can't see further in paypal but I had a few more)

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
that I must provide reasonable support
Naturally, that always depends on the whose definition and / or opinion of "reasonable" and what support is constituted of. It seems you found out pretty soon how companies abuse this principle.

My wife's organisation fell head first into the opposite where an unscrupulous developer has taken them for 500k or so and the have no product and the boss is walking away. Gee for half that money I would have..... But my wife works there and somehow that is a conflict of interest or corruption, Go SA Go.
šŸ˜’