Wish Wish: IDE method hovering tooltip

PHB2

Licensed User
Longtime User
It may be possible, but I can't see how.

Is it possible to hover the mouse over a method and for a tool tip to pop up with the syntax of that method? - it is a pain for me to have to work out what each parameter is by having to key in a new instance of that method just to know what a particular parameter is.

Roger Garstang

Licensed User
Longtime User
Not as quick, but there are at least 4 ways to make it appear- Typing/Retyping (, Typing/Retyping a comma, Typing/Retyping space after a comma, or Retyping the dot in the method name if it has one to get the list to come back up.

I don't know if I'd like to see it all the time while hovering as they can get in the way. Possibly only while holding ctrl during hover. I'd like to see the ctrl enhanced when on the line too. Right now hitting ctrl toggles it to a really faint that could be less transparent and pressing again goes normal. Perhaps pressing control when on a line could also turn on the tip for where the cursor is too.

PHB2

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am not keen with having to re-type part of a command to see what parameters it takes/what its syntax is.

I agree with you though Roger - maybe a hover over a command with a CTRL key pressed. Alternatively (and how Visual Studio does it) is it only brings up the syntax of a command once you hover for more than a second or 2 (i.e. you are intentionally wanting to hover to get the syntax)

tunderin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would second the CTRL+ hover or long hover method but add to it an option to enable/disable the feature for those who do not need it

Last edited:

qsrtech

Licensed User
Longtime User
+1 Ctrl and/or long hover (but not too long)