xml encoding

directorfw

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi!

ahmmm.... I hope someone can help me!

I'm using the xml Library, I wanna read an xml and save the data into a database, but i have a little problem, I'm using a device that doesn't support any encoding, so someone know what should I do?:sign0148:

directorfw

Licensed User
Longtime User
i'm using a data collector, and it show a message... "system does not support econdig ISO-8859-1" or utf-8

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Is it a WindowsCE rather than a Windows Mobile device? That might be the problem, although I would be very surprised if it is. Did you install the Compact Framework or did it come in the ROM? At what program line does the error occur and what is the entire wording of the error and how is it shown? In a message box?

directorfw

Licensed User
Longtime User
yes... windows CE

and yes it shows a message box:

"System does not support 'ISO-8859-1' encoding. Line 1 position 31." or "System does not support 'utf-8' encoding....

and...I installed CF 3.5 like the data collector's support told me.
:(

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I can't tell from what you have posted whether Basic4ppc raised the error or something else. Does the message box have a title? What is the Basic4ppc code at the line of the program that causes the error. Also what does the first line of the xml file look like?

directorfw

Licensed User
Longtime User
ok...
I was wrong.. sorry...

when I use enconding utf-8, appears a message box, "Invalid character in te given encoding. Line 82, position 24."

this is because the character is Ñ.
so I was reading that I should use 'ISO-8859-1' encoding when i wanna usea special characters like Ñ. And then it appears the message "System does not support 'ISO-8859-1' encoding. Line 1 position 31." the message box' title is Basic4ppc.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is because the character is Ñ.
That should be a valid character in UTF-8.

You are not making this easy! Again I ask what is the Basic4ppc code at the line of the program that causes the error. What does the first line of the xml file look like? Are you using XmlDocument or XmlReader?

ISO-8859-1 is an 8 bit encoding. Is this what your xml file is coded in, otherwise why do you mention it? According to the .NET documentation it is a supported encoding

directorfw

Licensed User
Longtime User
hey.. i'm sorry I think I solved it... anyway... thank you so much.. I really appreciate your help. and sorry to make you lost your time at this.

still it doesn't appear Ñ... should appear PIÑA...and appears PIÑ . but... it works, and save the data...
:(

so... :BangHead:

again.. thank you!