Android Question Apps not launching with One UI 6.0 (Samsung, Android 14)

ema01

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello there,
first of all, did any of you had a TON of problems with samsung devices since their october security update? Because on all our app i've seen a dramatic rise in crash logs and all from flagship samsung devices. Most of them are nullpointer exception in sub calls, which makes me thing the activity is being killed immediately, some of them were generic security exceptions that i was not getting on any other device, even affecting Android 11 devices that supposedly did not have the exception implemented (so i had to make other changes that were not needed before)

well, one customer has just updated its S23 to android 14 with One UI 6.0 and our apps won't launch. They hang indefinetly and i don't really know where to bash my head at this point. I'm still waiting to know if ALL our apps won't launch (so it maybe, possibly, could be a problem in B4A?) or this one specific app (we have two very versions of it on the store)

I don't know how to gather more info, i haven't received any logs from the play console, I'm trying to have them download the system logs and maybe there will be something

for context, our apps background services (declared in the manifest), bluetooth in the background (declared in the manifest, related permissions declared and checked) and this particular app also exact alarms (USE_EXACT_ALARMS declared and checked)

Edit: ALL our apps are affected. I'm sending him a mockup that doesn't use BLE and see if it's related.

Edit 2: Older apps of ours that targeted older SDK versions are also affected.
We already tried disabling the New Wonderful App Blocker Functionality to protect you from non-whitelisted apps and rogue APKs, how dare you install an app that does not come from approved stores?
Anyway an S23 is on its way so in a few days we'll be able to do some tests on a real device (and of course i'm sure here it will work)

Edit 3: Mockup without BLE, additional services etc is working.

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ok so i am back home and i made some tests and i dont have such code like you mentioned MeasureMultilineTextHeight()
besides that i also noticed that the behavior is not constant.
1 time it runs fine 5 times one after one start but then for 10 starts white blank screen.

it has something to do with android 14 and nothing with samsung because i am trying it on emulator and i get the same issue.
so problem is not solved.

it looks like the app hangs on STARTER service and does not starts the app.
launching screen is show sometimes and sometimes not.
i always close the app completely but still the behavior changes from start to start.
something with the Starter service has conflicts when using android 14

i will open another thread maybe @Erel can investigate it.
i have the feeling we will soon have many thread about it so i think any app is effected but because it doesnot happen always it will be hard to noticed.

EDIT: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/android-14-app-not-launching.157649/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ema01

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am actually seeing both things
- MeasureMultilineTextHeight hanging the application - confirmed to happen on my pixel
- Service not starting, which in turn doesn't start other parts of my applications (other services started from the starter) - This i have only seen happening on a samsung device, not on my pixel. But apparently it also happens in the emulator?

Upvote 0

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But apparently it also happens in the emulator?
yes, see this:

Upvote 0