Wish Library Size Calculator And Spillover Secondary Library Folder

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1. We are blessed with an abundance of libraries in the internal and additional library folders. The number of libraries added to a project and needed is getting bigger and bigger. Is there an easy way to estimate how many KBs are added to a given project based on all added libraries to it except the CORE and INTERNAL LIB FOLDER. Maybe a pop up in the library pane of the IDE?

2. The number of libraries in the additional library folder is in the hundreds and getting larger every day. It is hard to keep track of. I propose to have a secondary spillover subfolder to the additional folder, where we can store the libraries that are sporadically used and seldom come into play, like the ones used for curiosity testing or sampling.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is not so simple as the larger libraries like Firebase libraries all reference the same classes. Adding GoogleMap + FirebaseAnalytics will be very similar to adding only GoogleMap.

I think that in most cases the libraries will not cause your APK to be larger than 5mb.
You can open the APK with 7zip and see the size of each component.

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that in most cases the libraries will not cause your APK to be larger than 5mb
It is not the APK size that is most concerning. It is the application total size after the APK is unzipped and the app is installed on the device. That is what dictates whether the overhead is weighing down on it.
This is how I measure whether an app is dragging on not: When I dispatch an application I usually consider a very slow device to test it on. If it performs OK there, it means, it will do better on most other devices. I take the same approach on a PC application. I do my testing on a slow machine, because a fast machine is not going to tell me how efficient the programming was.