wishes for the Designer

jfranz

Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree with Chrsh and cobrasoft. The use of -1 for 100% in the designer is poor. I also seems to not take into accoun the top or left position and simply does 100% of the activity.

cobrasoft mentioned anchors and docking. Both are great in informs and make designs much easier.

one last thing would be to support true object events where the event called would be passed the object that raised the event. this would be much easier to create dynamic controls that are named the same but hold different values. I just wrote a dynamic web scrapper that created over 75 radio buttons and to tell what they picked I needed to create a list of controls and iterate over I to figure out what the user selected. Very wasteful when dealing with multiple lists.

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think I may have posted this request in a different thread but this thread seems appropriate too...

It would be nice if when you change the parent of a view (or more specifically, when multiple views are selected like in the abstract designer) that it would retain its Left & Top properties.

I imagine I'm not the only one who later decided to put views on a panel rather than directly on an activity. I tried this once with a layout I had done with over 40 precisely placed buttons and when I changed their parent to a panel I had just added, they all lost their positions.

If you wouldn't want to change the only behavior for this, then perhaps a message box could ask the user if they want to retain the Left & Top properties of the views for which they are changing the parent.

duneplodder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would second post #10.

Using %x & %y in left, top, height & width values might make using different layouts easier.

tetrode

Licensed User
Longtime User
designer integration into main ide: +1

other whishes:
- arrow keys move around the objects -> very good
- please let shift arrow down, shift arrow right resize (make bigger) the object and
shift arrow left and shift arrow up make smaller the object.

Throw in Alt or arrow up/down for z ordering and we are as happy as a clamp