Opening Pandora's Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johan Schoeman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am sitting in front of the TV and are watching CNN. I am amazed by the protest taking place on the first day in office of newly elected USA president Donald J Trump.

A simple BUSINESS analysis from here indicates that USA national debt has increased by 86% (or USD 9 trillion) in the last 8 years under the watch of the outgoing president.

"Running" a country is no different to running a business - it is just a bigger business.

Now imagine you are running a business and after 8 years at the helm of the business you go to the shareholders and report such devastating numbers (i.e additional USD 9 trillion loss in the last 8 years or that your business is 86% worst of than what it was 8 years ago?). The words "You are fired" comes to mind.....

The newly elected president has been in office for 1 day and inherited a debt of about USD 19 trillion. Give the man a break to show what he can do and judge him only after about his 2nd year in office.....:confused:

Last edited:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
debt is only one row of the report card. Obama didn't start the mega wars around the world and debt had to increase even if Bush continued as president.. it's war economy.. Obama had two choices: either abruptly stop all the wars and return the troops back home, or continue borrowing from the banking system.
But to be more rationale and read more entries of the report card:
Quote:
"Since President Barack Obama first took office:
  • Homicides have dropped 13 percent, but gun sales have surged.
  • The economy has added more than 9 million jobs, and the jobless rate has dropped to below the historical median.
  • The number of long-term unemployed Americans has dropped by 614,000 under Obama, but it is still 761,000 higher than at the start of the Great Recession.
  • Corporate profits are up 166 percent; real weekly wages are up 3.4 percent.
  • There are 15 million fewer people who lack health insurance.
  • Wind and solar power have nearly tripled, and now account for more than 5 percent of U.S. electricity.
  • The federal debt has more than doubled — rising 116 percent — and big annual deficits have continued."
    Unquote
Now remember the above numbers and look at them after 4 years.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Would you like to explain the following two points? They appear colliding just reading post #2. I ask out of curiosity, just to better understand. Thanks.

1. 9 million jobs created
2. 600k less unemployed but 700k still to be helped, so a total of about 1300k

What I can' t understand is how 9 millions jobs couldn't cover the whole 1300k unemployed population. Obviously there should be more than those flashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.