Share My Creation 2D Solar System (Source included)

hi,

I promised my daughter to create with her a Solar System model. I think it was 7 years ago and she keeps reminding me about that promise.
The idea was to create a physical model of the Solar System but because of the lack of time I made her a digital version and she was happy.
I will sit with her together and explain about the code and maybe it will wake up her interest in coding :)

anyway, i decided to share with you guys the code. have fun exploring the universe 😁

link:

solarsystem.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Turney

Licensed User
Longtime User
I promised my daughter to create with her a Solar System model. I think it was 7 years ago and she keeps reminding me about that promise.
She's probably working for SpaceX or Blue Origins by now, eh? I know the feeling of procrastination lol ;-).

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
btw how do you like the background music? i find it really dramatic 😁
i really like the end result and i can add much more info to it like days count and much more.

i love working with canvas and drawing everything on the screen with code only. its more challenging and gives you full control. what do you think guys? do you like drawing with canvas?

MarrowZero

Licensed User
Hi ilan, I wanted to say I big thank you for sharing your code. My daughter(12) and I (44) have been learning B4X together an hour per week (the last few months) and today we had fun with your solar code. She particularly loved changing the randomness of the star sizes and experiments with forward and reverse speeds! We also had a conversation about adding the moon and even the ISS.
Next week we will try the correct values of distance to the sun and see how big the canvas has to be to fit it all on.

--Paul 🇬🇧

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi ilan, I wanted to say I big thank you for sharing your code. My daughter(12) and I (44) have been learning B4X together an hour per week (the last few months) and today we had fun with your solar code. She particularly loved changing the randomness of the star sizes and experiments with forward and reverse speeds! We also had a conversation about adding the moon and even the ISS.
Next week we will try the correct values of distance to the sun and see how big the canvas has to be to fit it all on.

--Paul 🇬🇧
wow, i am really happy to hear that someone finds my work helpful :)
in the beginning, i wanted to make it 3d but i did not want to spend too much time on it so i did it 2d only.

adding the moon is something that i also wanted to do. it shouldn't be too difficult.

about the distance, you can see that i wrote as a comment in the code that i had to put a fake distance because the canvas is not big enough but go ahead with your experiments and don't forget to share some images or a short video of your updates ;)

Big Respect to your daughter for learning to code and i wish her a lot of success in it! 🙂