A call for collaboration....

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys,

Each of us have our field(s) of expertise.... Well, mine is having too many (app) ideas, not enough time, and specially... not much graphical skills ... I mean, UI design... attractive UI Design...
So... After the latest "come together" efforts, organised by @aeric, @Magma and others... I decided to create this first thread calling for some "no strings attached" .
So what kind of collaboration am I searching for? Someone with a good sense of UI attractiveness and intuitiveness... if that's even a word...
Very simple apps, specially Desktop ones...

Please.... Take your time... Don't step over each other toes...

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My 2 cents.
UI design is quite subjective.
Some people like flat and simple design like Material design, some may like more 3D look, some may like colourful icons, etc.
Indeed.... But I just can't manage to create "my style" for UI creation... and I get stuck before even starting...
Many manage to create the whole app with a "under-par" UI and at the very end concentrate on bringing the UI to perfection....
I need to fall in love by the car looks before even knowing what's under the hood!

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I prefer more colorful design.
Here is my POS system UI. :)

1-png.145583
2-png.145584
3-png.145585
4-png.145586

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
1. I get Cableguy, our apps (developed with B4X) should have that appeal in terms of User Interface. I must confess, some of the apps I usually see developed with B4X basically uses the default Edit text/buttons/list etc.

And Yes, I did few tutorials on some tricks on UI design in B4X and it helped some people. I got a positive feedback. We should pay attention to the UI design.

Someone posted this and I love it.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you have the passion, knowledge/skill/experience, the money and time then you can do it by yourself. Otherwise hire someone do part of the job for you.

I guess for a software house, the team consists of system architecture, graphic designer, programmer and so on...

If we follow Software Development Life Cycle or System Analyst and Design, before development starts, we need to come out with the wireframe and prototype.

Some app developers use Figma or Adobe Illustrator to design the layout.

When it comes to the developer, it depends on how good he is to replicate the layout with the actual native views as close as the design.

I am not good in designing but I think there are a few points we need to take note.

1. Theme: Is the app targeted for professional/corporate or leisure user?
2. Colour: If #1 is for corporate, using dark gray or blue is more suitable. Less colour combination is recommended. For kids app, you may want to use more colourful theme. What colour brings what kind of mood? Soft or hard colour accent.
3. Use of semi transparent panels. Alpha.
4. Use of colour gradient.
5. Use of shadow.
6. Use of rounded/curve corners.
7. Colour contrast between background and text colour.
8. Distance between buttons and panels. Padding and margins.
9. Text size: important title should be bigger
10. Display on different screen resolutions or devices
11. Consistency of design
12. Disabled buttons look, panel and button invisibility
13. Less is more, don't squeeze a lot of buttons on a screen
14. Use scrollable view such as scroll pane or custom list view
15. Use anchors
16. Use font-awesome or nice icon packs
17. Use high quality image
18. Check examples of other people design

This is only about the UI. For UX, you may also want to consider selection of views such as more user friendly date picker instead of text input. Loading indicator, animation, transition, etc.

zed

Licensed User
I'm interested.
I am now retired. I spend my time on B4X, but I don't know what to program.
So far I have created about fifteen applications of all kinds, which will end up at the bottom of my hard drive because the Play Store does not interest me.
If you need collaboration, that's fine with me.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1. I get Cableguy, our apps (developed with B4X) should have that appeal in terms of User Interface. I must confess, some of the apps I usually see developed with B4X basically uses the default Edit text/buttons/list etc.

And Yes, I did few tutorials on some tricks on UI design in B4X and it helped some people. I got a positive feedback. We should pay attention to the UI design.

Someone posted this and I love it.
You should post the link to your UI tutorial :)

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm interested.
I am now retired. I spend my time on B4X, but I don't know what to program.
So far I have created about fifteen applications of all kinds, which will end up at the bottom of my hard drive because the Play Store does not interest me.
If you need collaboration, that's fine with me.
Will PM you soon

Reactions: zed