A couple of suggestions and a cut and paste gripe!

bpfh

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I am new to Basic4Android ( :sign0104: ), but having a lot of fun with it (extensive previous experience with VB6 though so I'm not too lost).

After playing with the language for a few hours, I have a cut and paste gripe and couple of suggestions that I personally miss from VB,

Starting with the gripe: Select some code, cut. Select the insert point without selecting any data then hit ctrl-c or -x instead of ctrl-v by mistake: the buffer will be overwritten with the contents of the complete line under the cursor even though nothing was selected... It may be useful for duplicating lines, but if you have copied a large amount of code, then you have just lost it all..... You then scrabble in a panic for ctrl-z, and hope that your original cut code has not been lost forever!

If nothing was selected nothing should be copied - and ideally my previously copied code should still stay available in the buffer!

After mentionning line duplication, this can be very useful especially when setting up long lists of variables, but could you move this to a dedicated key combination like ctrl-d (which currently does not do much) rather than a "null ctrl-c/x then ctrl-v ?

The other 2 things I personally miss are really more cosmetic than anything else: after working with VB6, when creating a subroutine or function, having the IDE create automatically the corresponding "end sub" or "end function" is nice and avoids several compile errors when you plough into a huge project and forget to close your routines (not that I have ever done this.... Ever.... and I have never spent hours looking through code trying to find a forgotten elusive closing curly bracket in PHP either... :BangHead: ), and the other is the autocorrect of "endif" to "end if", which is just a luxury !

Cheers,
Daniel

Last edited: