Android barcode scanner - developer needed

GVI

Hi all,

We are looking to develop a custom Android app used to track inventory in a building. The high-level requirements:
  1. Data will read and write from a local SQLite database
  2. There will be approximately 7-10 screens
  3. We will be scanning 1D barcodes (not QR codes)
  4. We are currently deciding between using the phone’s camera to scan the barcode, or using an Android-based scan gun with a laser barcode scanner (something like this: https://bit.ly/3xa7nJZ)
  5. If we decide to use a dedicated scan gun, then you might have to wrap the barcode scanner’s SDK
Major features:
  1. User selects the building they are in (from a drop down; the drop down reads from the SQLite database)
  2. If it’s a new building being inventoried, then they add it to the SQLite database
  3. If the room has been previously been inventoried, it will have a barcode; the user scans the barcode, pulling up the room’s info (from the SQLite database); alternatively they can select the room they are in (from a drop down; the drop down reads from the SQLite database, and is filtered based on the room selected)
  4. If it’s a new room being inventoried, then they stick a new barcode to the room’s door and scan it - bringing up a data entry screen (and the new room is added to the SQLite database)
  5. They then scan each barcode in the room; each time it’s scanned the item’s details are retrieved from the SQLite database and displayed in a form (which can be updated if needed)
  6. If it’s a new item being inventoried, they attach a barcode to the item and scan it - bringing up a data entry screen (and the new item is added to the SQLite database)
  7. You can search for an item, and move it to a different room (this updates the location column in the database)
I have the entire app wireframed, and it’s actually a legacy Windows Mobile app that we are converting to Android.

Please contact me for any additional details or questions.

Thank you!

Last edited:

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @GVI due to time constraints I won't candidate myself, but I have a few preliminary questions that may help others.
1. Data entry in a room is done by a single device or multiple ones at once?
2. In the case of an external unit, will Wifi/3g-4G be available at buildings or BT will be the only choice (along with local, to the scanner, database to sync at a later time)?
3. For new objects (room, item), the operator has a pre-printed barcode label to stick on the object. The app simply record that code along with detail data. Am I right?
4. All the collected data should go to a central database at some point. Can you tell something about (type of DBMS, LAN or remote, data integrity checks..)
5. Your time constraints

GVI

Hi @udg, thank you for your suggestions - to answer your questions:
  1. Data entry in a room is done by a single device - there will never be two scanners in a room at the same time
  2. The app must work offline (no internet connection); this is because some locations do not have strong internet connection, even with a hotspot
  3. Yes, you are exactly right!
  4. Correct - all of the collected data (the SQLite databases) are collected and merged outside of this Android app into a Microsoft SQL Server database, through an existing Windows desktop app. As long as this new Android app uses the same database structure as our legacy Windows Mobile app, we won't have to modify the existing desktop app's code.
  5. We're looking to start the project within the next two weeks, and would ideally like the finished up within 6-8 weeks

Unobtainius

Licensed User
Longtime User
Even as a B4X noob I would expect you could easily finish this in 6-8 weeks yourself? (Unless you have never coded before, then it might be the full 8 weeks;))
I will pass your request onto a friend, he's a 15-16 year old student that's doing some work for our business in B4X (Android in our case)

GVI

Hi @Unobtainius - yes, you're right, I could probably hammer this out in 6-8 weeks, but bandwidth becomes an issue. Thanks for passing my request on - PM me and I can send you my email for your friend if he wants to contact me.