Android Question App Name formatting guidelines?

Arf

Licensed User
Longtime User
I had planned to call my app something specific, a 12 letter word. I've just discovered on S3 phones the last character wraps to a second line, looks horrible. So I had to break it into 2 words, which then wrap decently, but on a bigger tablet I get one line with two words, which is out of sync with the product name.

Is there any means of dynamically changing the name slighlty for different target devices, or any rules I can study that I might be able to concoct the perfect name strategy?

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
If your planning to launch your app on the PlayStore then I read somewhere that it should ideally have a meaningful name to assist in getting a high ranking. My UPNP Browser App has only been released since the end of January and is now positioned 7th in the list of Apps when using the search term "UPNP". This I believe is because UPNP is in the name of the App and used repeatedly in its description. I'm getting close to my first 1000 downloads so it's definitely not based on ratings alone as some of the other Apps have far more downloads than me but are ranked lower.

Upvote 0

Arf

Licensed User
Longtime User
No it won't be on the store, so no concerns about ranking, just concerned that it looks a bit silly.
I was wondering if it was possible to use the 'res' folder to define different strings for the ApplicationLabel which are selected in accordance with device size, similar to how you can put differently sized icons in there.

Upvote 0