Android Question App suspended due auto apk update

EduardoElias

Licensed User
Longtime User
I got one of my new app suspended because I am using the code for auto update the apk direct from my server.

My problem is that I use android box in a way that it stay online working always, and eventually android is never rebooted etc... so the play store NEVER updates de apk this way then I have customers with old apks just causing trouble.

I see there are some BANK apks that recognizes there is new version and popup a confirmation dialog that go directly to the play store and install (nothing else to be done it already accept and start downloading)

Any ideas?

Ertan

Licensed User
When a new update arrives, the user should query the server and check if there is a new update every time the application is opened. For this you need to post data somewhere (maybe a better idea)

As I can update automatically thanks to my server, if there is a new version, I make a query to the server in the background every time the user opens the application. If there is an update, I force it to download it. (Via Google or app store link)

Upvote 0

Alex_197

Licensed User
Longtime User
When a new update arrives, the user should query the server and check if there is a new update every time the application is opened. For this you need to post data somewhere (maybe a better idea)

As I can update automatically thanks to my server, if there is a new version, I make a query to the server in the background every time the user opens the application. If there is an update, I force it to download it. (Via Google or app store link)
What if the doesn't have the Internet?

Upvote 0

Ertan

Licensed User
What if the doesn't have the Internet?
I got one of my new app suspended because I am using the code for auto update the apk direct from my server.
When connected to the internet, a service can run at the back, if there is an update, it informs the person with a notification.

If this application works with internet, it will be healthy. Other ways should be considered for an offline application. The user who opened the thread says that he is publishing an update from his server. I gave an example accordingly.

Upvote 0

wes58

Licensed User
Longtime User

My problem is that I use android box in a way that it stay online working always, and eventually android is never rebooted etc... so the play store NEVER updates de apk this way then I have customers with old apks just causing trouble.

I see there are some BANK apks that recognizes there is new version and popup a confirmation dialog that go directly to the play store and install (nothing else to be done it already accept and start downloading)

Any ideas?
For me it makes sense. If you publish your application in Play Store, you should update it through the play store.

Imagine someone publishing an app in the play store, and updating it from some other source (like your server, for example), But, they decide to add some malware in the updated application. How safe would it be for the user?

You could send notification to the user that there is an update to the application and direct them to the Play Store.

Upvote 0

EduardoElias

Licensed User
Longtime User
The problem is not internet, I have it always. The problem is that I use Android Box as a device for unatended purposes. So it have an app always running and for some reason google play does not upgrade it.

The option for auto upgrade de app is there in the play store, it just not dont do that.... I have several of these android boxes from different makers and android versions, most of them never updates

So I at first time using the option of looking for the apk in my server donwload and install, but google does not like that.

Upvote 0

kisoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
Google does not allow such practices for the sake of your own butt and the user's safety ... I think it's the right policy ...

Upvote 0