Android Question App won't install - Package installer keeps stopping

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I have Pixel 4a running Android 13 & also got a Pixel 8 running Android 14. (both phones are my development phones, I only used them for development / testing).

I am using B4A 12.80 using Java 14 and also using the B4A Bridge v2.66 (from the Google Play Store).

The IDE will compile the app fine.

On my Pixel 4a the app installs fine using the B4A Bridge.
On my Pixel 8 the app installs fine using the B4A Bridge.

Today I had to default my Pixel 8, as I was testing something on it.

I haven't made any changes to my B4A app.

I have enabled the Display over other apps, and install unknown apps on the Pixel 8.

I tried to re-install by B4A app again using the IDE (using the B4A Bridge) on my Pixel 8. The app gets sent to the phone and I see the blue progress bar display along the bottom. It then pops up asking if I like to install the app, I tap on install.

Nothing then displays on the phone, and the app never gets installed. I tried this multiple times, and at one stage it displays a message 'Package installer keeps stopping'.

Using the Pixel 4a it installs fine. So the issue seems to be only with the Pixel 8.

I have so far factory defaulted my Pixel 8 twice but made no difference. This used to work with the Pixel 8 before I defaulted my phone.

Has this happened to anyone else before, or know how to fix this issue ?

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
try delete the old app and install it again.

Otherwise i guess no one can help as you are providing exact zero Info about your app, code, manifest, ect.

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
The app gets sent to the phone and I see the blue progress bar display along the bottom. It then pops up asking if I like to install the app, I tap on install.

Nothing then displays on the phone, and the app never gets installed. I tried this multiple times, and at one stage it displays a message 'Package installer keeps stopping'.
When I was having the nothing displaying on my phone is you mentioned above, I found that restarting my phone made a difference. It would then display my app but I'm still having to restart my phone constantly in the same way.

Upvote 0

Andris

Licensed User
Longtime User
Coincidentally I reported the same problem last night. Still trying to make it work.

Upvote 0

Andris

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I have Pixel 4a running Android 13 & also got a Pixel 8 running Android 14. (both phones are my development phones, I only used them for development / testing).

I am using B4A 12.80 using Java 14 and also using the B4A Bridge v2.66 (from the Google Play Store).

The IDE will compile the app fine.

On my Pixel 4a the app installs fine using the B4A Bridge.
On my Pixel 8 the app installs fine using the B4A Bridge.

Today I had to default my Pixel 8, as I was testing something on it.

I haven't made any changes to my B4A app.

I have enabled the Display over other apps, and install unknown apps on the Pixel 8.

I tried to re-install by B4A app again using the IDE (using the B4A Bridge) on my Pixel 8. The app gets sent to the phone and I see the blue progress bar display along the bottom. It then pops up asking if I like to install the app, I tap on install.

Using the Pixel 4a it installs fine. So the issue seems to be only with the Pixel 8.

I have so far factory defaulted my Pixel 8 twice but made no difference. This used to work with the Pixel 8 before I defaulted my phone.

Has this happened to anyone else before, or know how to fix this issue ?

Yes, I have exactly the same issue! I answered earlier in this thread, but apparently some think we are the same person posting twice and don't take us seriously. I assure you I am a second person with exactly the same problem, so let's keep talking šŸ¤Ŗ.

Have you found a solution? In my case, I have a Pixel 6 Pro which I've been using daily for months with no B4A-Bridge problem. Then last night I updated to Android 14 and suddenly B4A-Bridge stops installing my apk. I reinstalled B4A-Bridge, and now B4A Developer keeps offering to install - but it can't install. I suspected B4A-Bridge, but am now instead suspecting something weird with Android 14, even though others here have no problems at all with all this.

Please report here if you have progress on this issue, as will I.

Upvote 0

Andris

Licensed User
Longtime User
When I was having the nothing displaying on my phone is you mentioned above, I found that restarting my phone made a difference. It would then display my app but I'm still having to restart my phone constantly in the same way.
Shelby I've found that restarts don't help me on my Pixel 6 Pro/Android 14. Have you experienced that if you reinstall B4A-Bridge, it won't even install B4A Designer after it asks whether you want to do that? None of this, by the way, is an issue if I download my apk to my wife's Pixel 4a/Android 13.

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
Yeah, I've been through all the obvious attempts; Uninstalling B4A bridge and reinstalling, pretty sure I uninstalled the designer and reinstalled that. My phone is a Samsung S-23 using: OS Android 13 with One UI 5.1,
Processor: Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 Mobile Platform for Galaxy
Ram: 8GB
Maybe that makes a difference.
Here's my original post about my bridge problem.

Upvote 0

davemorris

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi
Not sure about Android 14 (not rich enough to afford a new phone!) - but when I get problems with installing via the Bridge I always do two things

First - always uninstall the app and try again
If that don't work, change the package name to something unique (i.e. b4a.example150124 - append the date on the name)

I have found with some versions of Android it can remember the package name after they are uninstalled.
I do have to say the above sequence always works for me - but not able to test on Android 14

Best of luck
Dave

Upvote 0

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I actually defaulted the phone and didn't restore it from a backup when setting it up.

So the phone shouldn't know about any previously installed versions of my app, but no luck getting it to install.

Upvote 0

Andris

Licensed User
Longtime User
I actually defaulted the phone and didn't restore it from a backup when setting it up.

So the phone shouldn't know about any previously installed versions of my app, but no luck getting it to install.
I had mentioned earlier in this thread that I had a very similar problem. In my case, my problem is solved, as described here in a different thread: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...-bridge-to-not-install-apk.158061/post-972542.

With Android 14, it's most definite that if you don't have adaptive icons implemented in your app, it can cause these problems. For me, everything is back to normal after I followed the adaptive icons instructions, as referenced in the link. Hopefully you haven't tried this yet, and doing it will solve the issue.

Upvote 0