Assistance with UI Design?

Louis

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi. I am a blind programmer and use both Basic4Android and Basic4ppc. My difficulty with them is that you must see to develop eye-capturing UI'S. If I code my apps, choose forms and controls that should be part of the form and code their events, would anyone be willing to size them up and make all screens look good and then send me the completed module? You won't get my actual program, but what you will get is a code module with the click events and/or scroll events that should fire each time you perform an action and test messages to at leact make sure your form runs the subs. Any apps I sell I am willing to give between 8% to 10% of all sales. If the app is only $.99 or $1.00 then you will get $2.00 everytime I make $10.00 on any platform! Let me know what you guys think and I will submit some forms I wish to use.

Merlot2309

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello Louis,

For sure I would like to help you with this part.
Having enough free time I don't want money to help someone, unless you realy become rich with your applications, ha, ha.

Hope that I'm not jumping in the wallet of someone else.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Helen.

Upvote 0

Louis

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Hellen, You are awesome! How would you like my skeleton file sent, just attach here, Dropbox, or email? If email or Dropbox please private message me. If here be aware that others will be able to use your work. Basically I will send you a project that has the forms layed out with labels. All you have to do is go in there and add any kind of color, size them so the labels can be read by anyone, and make sure the events fire. If you wish you can add pictures but please make sure all controls have textual labels so screen readers can recognize them. So let me know how to get them to you and I will. I will need help doing this for all subsequent projects as well and not just this one, so it is only fair that you and anyone else who does this for me, get some kind of payment for your time. If I do attach here and there are multiple submissions from people, I will let everyone know which ones I have chosen.

Upvote 0

Louis

Licensed User
Longtime User
First UI Project

Hi. This first form I need help sizing correctly will be used for simple text-based programs. All I need for this one is a scrolling multilined text box that text can be read from and written to. Choose the colors, background images if you like, but make sure people can read its containing text. The text box must fill the screen since it is the only control there. It should also work in both portrait and landscape modes. If you have questions, just ask here. Thanks.

Attachments

• Multiline Textbox.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Merlot2309

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Louis,

Just installed DropBox. Nice tool and I was just looking for something like it.
I will send you a PM and share information here in case I think it could be usefull to others or that others have a better solution. Ok?

- I added "Activity.LoadLayout("MainActivity")
It's needed to show the layout and I often forget it myself

- In general I alway set the first view properties to Left: 5 and Top: 5 in the Designer and in the code I set the width and height to a size, inmediately followed by "dip".

- When you add a View in the Disigner you don't have to (should not) initialize it in the code.

- In the Designer I also set the Vertical Alignment to "Top" and I set the Font size to 15. Personally I always set it to 16 but size 15 is very readable as well. (Oeps, now I question myself if I express myself correctly)

- Wrap is set in the Designer, so no need to add it in coding.

- After some searching I finally found how to get the rotating to work (I'm slow, I know).
In the Designer I added a new Layout (New variant, which already was defined: opposite sizes of the Portrait mode) and then I found the code in the Tic-Tac-Toe example.
So simple once you know it (added in the Activity_Create block):

B4X:
   If GetDeviceLayoutValues.Height < GetDeviceLayoutValues.Width Then
      EditText1.Width = 465dip
      EditText1.Height = 265dip
   Else
      EditText1.Width = 310dip
      EditText1.Height = 425dip
   End If

All 4 directions are covered now.

The style of the layout, colours and possible pictures depend on the kind of application one is creating. So this one still is black and white.

Greets,
Helen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0