Share My Creation AWTRIX 2.0

2022: Updated Information in Post #3 !

awtrix-1-1024x498.jpeg

AWTRIX 2.0
(AWesome maTRIX) is an DIY intelligent clock (similar to Lametric time) with a focus on usability, Smarthome integrity and tons of features. I was able to make AWTRIX 2.0 a great user experience. It starts with the simple setup and installation and ends with the intuitive operation. AWTRIX 2.0 is the result of 3 months of hard work and very good feedback from the community. Here you can find some nice Pictures from the Community!

AWTRIX 2.0 consists of a ESP8266 as Matrix Driver (AWTRIX Controller) for the 32×8 full color RGB matrix, and any Java capable Server like Windows, MacOS, Raspberry Pi, etc. The Server takes over the complete logic while the ESP takes over the commands and displays them stubbornly.

AWTRIX 2.0 is completely free to use. Maybe only the cloud connection will be available later in a cheap subscription. Until then this can also be used free of charge.

appstore-1024x605.png

AWTRIX 2.0 Webinterface with integrated Appstore
AWTRIX 2.0 offers many features:
  • Platform independent
  • Complete configuration over Webinterface
  • Apps can be added through the integrated Appstore.
  • Flexible App management
  • Support for Community Apps
  • powerful API interfaces like MQTT and REST
  • Optional cloud connection for external services such as IFTTT (https://awtrix.blueforcer.de/) (also written in B4J)
  • full control via Smarthome or web interface
  • Automatic brightness control
  • Timer function and much more
Example of the powerful drawing API:

Available native apps:
  • Facebook (Displays the likes of your Facebook page)
  • Twitter (Shows the number of your Twitter followers)
  • Twitch (Shows your Twitch subscriber count or your live viewers while youre streaming)
  • Instagram (Shows the number of your Instagram follower)
  • Octoprint (Shows the percentage of progress and remaining time of OctoPrint printing.)
  • Overwatch (Shows your current Skillranking )
  • Fortnite(Shows your Kills, Wins, Wins% and K/D)
  • Wetterdienst (Displays weather-warnings of Deutscher Wetterdienst)
  • Time (Shows Time, Date and the day of the week )
  • Weather (Shows the current temperature of your location.)
  • Moon (Get Today’s Moon Phase with current viewing information)
  • Matomo (Shows you the visitors of the transferred Matomo instance who were online during the given time period.)
  • PM (Shows the atmospheric particulate matter (PM))
  • Crypto (Shows prices for any cryptocurrency. Set your desired Coin and your currency )
  • Youtube (Shows the number of your Youtube subscribers)
  • News (This app provides live top and breaking headlines for your country.)
  • Pinterest (Shows the number of your Pinterest followers)
  • Gas (Zeigt dir die Spritpreise in deiner Naehe an.(Tankerkoenig API))

You can also create your own Icons with AWTRIXER! Use it for own Apps or temporary Apps from external Systems like Smarthome!
Availbale for Windows, MacOS, Linux and Android! You can also upload your Icons for the Community.

awtrixer-1.png

You can find all informations to build and setup your AWRTIX 2.0 with following links:

Special Thanks to @Erel for this awesome IDEs
and @alwaysbusy for improving his ABplugin lib for this project. wich now provides unbelievable powerful features in AWTRIX 2.0

Last edited:

JMB

Licensed User
Longtime User
This looks like a really cool project! I might have a go at building this when I can find some time!

Blueforcer

Licensed User
Longtime User
This thread is already 3 years old, and since i recently received some likes for it i decided to update the information about this project.
In the past years many things have changed and the project is used by thousands of users all over the world. Especially in France and China it has caused a small hype.
You can find many videos on YouTube or the chinese platform Bilibili

AWTRIX received a complett new webinterface, with many new functions:

Homescreen with integraded API tester:

1648289493132.png

The new Appstore where you can download all apps, wich will be loaded into your apploop in runtime.
The amount of available apps increased to 73 at the moment.
You can also write your own, use it in private or send it in to pulish to the appstore. There is a tutorial for that in the documentation.

1648289543345.png

You can play games on your awtrix, in this mode, the webinterface becomes a controller

1648289670487.png

It has a integraded icon database viewer where you can see and use all icons created by the community

Animation.gif

Also a database viewer for fullscreen animations:
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

To design your own icons or animation there is a integrated designer with layersupport, liveview etc.

1648290320444.png

Better Statuspage for Host and Controller

1648290362892.png

There are also some special functions like Fritz!Box Call monitor, Alexa integraion, Cloudconnection to control your AWTRIX over my cloud application without the need of VPN, Port opening or any personal data.

according to the hardware i developed 3 different sizes of awtrix. All 3 of them supporting the same function depending on the equipment:
- Controlling via 3 Touchsensors on the Top
- Automatic Brightness controll via Light sensor
- Playing sounds from a SD
Card

you can find the 3D files for printing on thingiverse

Mini:

1648290561059.png

Midi:
1648291619253.png

Big:
1648290930902.png

I also built some special versions for my own xD

The smallest:
1597504650-303223-dsc03176.jpeg

And biggest
1587946844-726025-img-20200427-020901.jpeg

I developed a DIY mainboard for a clean usage of the ESP
1648291014970.png

Also there will be a new upgraded "pro" version in the future:
1648291081567.png

The controller firmware written in C++ is opensource:

All Apps are opensource and written in B4J

The Host software is still closed source

i have a discord channel with nearly 1000 member, feel free to join:

Official documentation

I have also a online shop where you can buy the hardware stuff. but most of the items (except of the mainboard and Mini Matrix) you will get nearly everywhere.
Currently I only ship to Germany because of the stupid new EU tax laws🤢😬

If you have more questions, feel free to ask :)

Attachments

• 1648290662333.png
    1648290662333.png
    393.2 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A App which i would write and want to run on these AWTRIX.
Can i publish it on the ESP to get "burned" to run always without having a Server?

I mean: could i create a app for a friend and put it on the AWTRIX so give the Trix to my friend as present and he just need to give "Power" to the AWTrix to run?

What are the minimum assembling steps which i have to follow if i want to assemble it by myself? Preferably without soldering

What are the Parts in detail i need for
- One AWTRIX Big incl Box and Cover, Powersupply, ESP, MP3Player?
and
- One AWTRIX Mini incl Box and Cover, Powersupply, ESP, MP3Player?

Blueforcer

Licensed User
Longtime User
A App which i would write and want to run on these AWTRIX.
Can i publish it on the ESP to get "burned" to run always without having a Server?

I mean: could i create a app for a friend and put it on the AWTRIX so give the Trix to my friend as present and he just need to give "Power" to the AWTrix to run?

What are the minimum assembling steps which i have to follow if i want to assemble it by myself? Preferably without soldering

What are the Parts in detail i need for
- One AWTRIX Big incl Box and Cover, Powersupply, ESP, MP3Player?
and
- One AWTRIX Mini incl Box and Cover, Powersupply, ESP, MP3Player?
No, the ESP is just a client without intelligence. It just receive all drawing commands from the server via Network or serial and display it. You can think it like a graphics card. It can do nothing without CPU or operating system.

The absolute minimum requirement is a ESP8266 and the matrix itself.
You can power it over the ESP USB port, but then I don't recommend to use higher Brightness, because of the Current drawing.
Also you need the Server application. This can run on any platform since it is a command line java application. I also provide a docker container.

I seperated all Awtrix sizes in categories in the shop.
Mini:
Midi:
Big:

Blueforcer

Licensed User
Longtime User
The Server-Application must run on the Same Network as the AWTRIX?
Or can i run it on my VPS (at Strato) to "fill" Data into my AWTRIX running here at my Home?
It doesn't need to, the communication runs via mqtt. But since it sends all frames in Realtime, I recommend a fast connection otherwise you will have stuttering or lags in the display.

Blueforcer

Licensed User
Longtime User
What 3D-Printer do i need to Print the Boxes by myself? Can you give any link(s) to the Printer.
Uh that's a big topic😂

I have 5 printers.
- Anycubic Chiron
- Tenlog TL-D3 Pro
- Artillery Sidewinder Genius
- Artillery Sidewinder X2
- Anycubic i3 Mega S

It always depends on the needed buildsize and other stuff. The Anycubic i3 Mega S is good for beginners and cheap.

But i also sell all 3 variants in my shop.

nfa23

Can I ask how I could write my own app with B4j? Now the biggest problem is I can't find a way to debug my code, it seems not easy to make one script, Can you point a way for me ? Thanks.

jinyistudio

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
Where can i find it as following ? I want to make a awtrix working with my webapp by b4j.