Share My Creation Bézier curve - My own algorithm

hi,

all started with an idea how to make a round path to move a spaceship on my screen like in Galaga.

so to move a sprite on the screen i can use FollowPath(...) in SpriteKit and i just need to define a path with x points. the problem is how to do a nice round moving of the sprite?? so i thought to check how round curves are done and i found the Bezier curve: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bézier_curve

the problem is i dont understand how it works and those formulas are like Chinese for me so i wrote my own algorithm.

when i was a child i remember that someone showed me how you can draw a nice curve with only straight lines and i was fascinated by that. it looked like that:

so what you do is basically draw 2 lines and then draw an equal size of small lines to the 2 lines and just connect small line 1 from line 1 to small line 1 from line 2. at the end you will have a perfect curve (it depends on how much steps you do it)

anyway i simulate the same scenario in my algorithm and this is what i end up with (download Jar and have a look)

PS: i know that most of you here are math pros (like @klaus) and you will post a very simple formula and tell me how simple this is but i am very happy i could come up with my own way to solve the problem even if it is not the perfect way but it's my own "Home Made" (and also maybe first) algorithm

Attachments

• BezierCurve.jar
    358.7 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…