Android Question B4A and 64bit apps for new Android versions

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
They are talking about NATIVE CODE i.e. normally written in c or c++ and implemented in so-libraries (jni):
new apps and app updates that include native code are required to provide 64-bit versions

Normal apps created with B4A is converted to JAVA and there are no issues with such code. It is the same code as Android Studio produces.:
Many apps are written entirely in non-native code (e.g. the Java programming language or Kotlin) and do not need code changes.

If you are using 3rd party libs and wonder if they use native code, you can check by unzipping the jar (or aar) you have in your extra-lib folder and then look for a folder which contains so-libs.

Normally you can identify if a lib is 64 by looking at the platform directory name:

Hope this clarifies things.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/01/get-your-apps-ready-for-64-bit.html

The last sentence is the most interesting one.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you both

So, if my apk contains an .so, its not 64-bit and I need to find out what lib or sdk needs updating.

Upvote 0

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you both

So, if my apk contains an .so, its not 64-bit and I need to find out what lib or sdk needs updating.
No - if there is a .so you need to check whether it is already 64bit compliant. It may have already been updated.

- Colin.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Understood.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
No, simply rename the .apk to .zip and you can explore it just as a normal ZIP file.

Upvote 0

DavideV

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi JohnC, thanks for the fast answer.
I did it before write here, I don't have any of the listed folders in my apk... Could it be correct?

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You need to look in each folder and all subfolders for .so "files" (not .so folders).

And as Colin mentions in post #24, even if you have an .so file, you just need to check with whoever created the lib that is associated with that .so and ask them if it's 64bit compatible.

Upvote 0
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…