b4a doesn't keep pace ?

coslad

Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe b4a is not keeping the pace of technology develop ? I love b4a, but if you need something different from a custom list view, you need go use Android studio. I mean , b4a doesn't support nfc hce protocol, in b4a is not possible to make a video streaming , in b4a isn't possible to use the new and powerful webrtc technology. Apart from new mqtt technology support, I don't see new real function.
Correct me if I m wrong

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
So a couple things...

It's not correct to say you cannot do something in B4A. Perhaps you mean current libraries don't exist for what you want, but that doesn't mean "it isn't possible". If the library exists in Java then you can create your own B4A wrapped library for your needs.

Also, it's true you will never get the same amount of features in B4A as going native. But this is also true for 100% of any other IDE/SDK/RAD tool for either Android or iOS. Native will always give you the most available options/features. However you will likely be writing 10 lines of code vs 1 line in B4A (and in a somewhat complex language).

There is no developer here that uses B4A because it offers more features than native, because it doesn't. The developers here use B4A because they can make a full app in 2 weeks instead of 6 months.

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is no developer here that uses B4A because it offers more features than native, because it doesn't. The developers here use B4A because they can make a full app in 2 weeks instead of 6 months.

To add: There are also developers who prefer a dialect of basic and want to take those already existing skills elsewhere. (B4X's learning curve is minimal if you already know some form of Basic.)

For example, I used to use VB.NET. Before finding B4X I found Xojo, and using Xojo was a nightmare. (Bug regression, no ROI on purchase, etc) I started searching for alternatives and found B4X.

Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I love b4a, but if you need something different from a custom list view, you need go use Android studio
Which type of list are you trying to implement? There are several implementations of lists in B4A (ListView, CustomListView and ULV).

You can play video streams with VideoView.

Not sure what you want to do with WebRTC however it is supported by WebView in Android 5+.

coslad

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, as I said, I love b4A , but I see that b4a is missing of modern function, I made the example of video streaming, not as viewer but as sever, is not possible to make a video call peer to peer application without using a external service like ooVoo VideoConferencing, the nfc library doesn't support the not so new feature 'hce, and always for example the webrtc api are not implemented, and webrtc are been introduced whit lollipop, now are about to marshmallow. I love b4a and never I will change it, but it seems that the core library are not updated so fast as Android do.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
None of the features you mentioned belong to the core libraries.

Like many other features they can be implemented as additional libraries. You should post feature requests for the features you are missing. If enough users will want them then they will be hopefully added.

BTW, streaming video between two devices is a difficult task. It has nothing to do with modern Android versions as it is not part of Android features (at least not the exposed features).
This is my last post in this thread.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just to complement what has already been said,

Informatix had a very small series of "how they do it" tutorials, where he showed how one of the most complex and sucessfull UI of a Music List/Player was achieved, and that was a few versions ago!!
Virtualy, you can do anything you can imagine with B4A, and in reality... you're only limited by your imagination!!