Android Question B4A Ver 8.50 No longer Runs wunder Win 7 Pro

sam512bb

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good day All,
I received notification that B4A Ver 8.50 was available and so I downloaded it and installed it successfully. Now I can no longer run B4A... it crashes upon executing it. I simply get the Windows Dialog box that I have attached. Below is the Problem details

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: B4A.exe
Application Version: 8.5.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5ba0806a
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18015
Fault Module Timestamp: 50b83c8a
Exception Code: c06d007e
Exception Offset: 0000c41f
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I am running Win 7 Pro 64-Bit and have not had issues running b4a before. The last version I had was 8.30 and it worked fine. I did uninstall 8.50 and re-installed 8.30 and the problem persists. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Sam

Attachments

• SNAG-0280.jpg
    SNAG-0280.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 269

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4x is used by a lot of users. Many of them are power-users with huge and complex apps. Assume that these guys would report an issue FIRST. If there is no report, assume that there IS no issue

Reinstall/Updade dotnet and msvcrtl latests

This solved the problem?

Additionally:

- Update Java (yes!)
- Use the built in SDK manager to update at least once a week
- update WINDOWS when updates are available (not once a year)

Upvote 0

sam512bb

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good day All,

I tried all of the above and the problem remains.

Does B4A write any info to the registry? If so, I am curious if one can purge any elements stored in here in case this data became corrupted. Outside of that I am at a loss as to why it is crashing. So far no other applications are having any issues.

Cheers,

Sam

Upvote 0

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Try this, open CMD as Administrator and type:
B4X:
sfc /scannow
It will take a while, that might help.

That command is a system file checker.

Also something to consider, time to ditch Win 7 and upgrade to Windows 10.

Upvote 0

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4x is used by a lot of users. Many of them are power-users with huge and complex apps. Assume that these guys would report an issue FIRST. If there is no report, assume that there IS no issue

If everyone followed this advice, no issues would get reported... ever! :)

- Colin.

Upvote 0

sam512bb

Licensed User
Longtime User
Try this, open CMD as Administrator and type:
B4X:
sfc /scannow
It will take a while, that might help.

That command is a system file checker.

Also something to consider, time to ditch Win 7 and upgrade to Windows 10.

Good day NJDude,

I also tried "sfc..." and it comes back as 100% fine... so nothing there.

As for Win 10... not if I can help it. I recognize that Win 7 is old(er), but it has been solid. Plus it has played well with a lot of the software tools I use. I am always scared to migrate to newer versions of Windows... as it is always a cat and mouse game to see what apps fail to work...

Cheers,

Sam

Upvote 0

sam512bb

Licensed User
Longtime User

Good day Colin,

Yup, tried that too. I am now checking my registry to see if something is amiss there. I did try creating another user profile and installing B4A from this account to see if that made a difference... it did not. So, something seems to be amiss with my core Windows. It is odd, as I have yet to have issues with any other applications... I guess "yet" is the operative word.

If I do sort this out, I will report back. However, I am hooped in using B4A anytime soon.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Cheers,

Sam

Upvote 0

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good day Colin,

Yup, tried that too. I am now checking my registry to see if something is amiss there. I did try creating another user profile and installing B4A from this account to see if that made a difference... it did not. So, something seems to be amiss with my core Windows. It is odd, as I have yet to have issues with any other applications... I guess "yet" is the operative word.

If I do sort this out, I will report back. However, I am hooped in using B4A anytime soon.

Cheers,

Sam
It's been so long that I can't remember, but does Win 7 have restore points? If so, you could restore to the system state immediately before you installed B4A v8.50 & that should at least get you back to where you were.

- Colin.

Upvote 0

sam512bb

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good day Colin,

Cheers,

Sam

Good day All,

Just an update that it looks as I have this all sorted. I tried everything and was going no where. I ended up going back to a restore point from earlier this year and then reinstalled the latest Windows updates and this took care of it. The best I can figure is that one or more of the core Window files were corrupted and/or their registry settings. Forcing a windows update, etc forced an overwrite of files/settings which looked like it solved this issue. Whew... what a relief!

Thanks to everyone for their assistance!

Cheers,

Sam

Upvote 0

manda

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello everyone,

I have the same problem running 8.50 - APPCRASH in KERNELBASE.DLL. I also had a much older version (from 2015.) that worked. OS is Win7 x64.

I tried:
1) Cleaning and reinstalling .NET (4.7.2)
2) Updating Windows
3) SFC /scannow
4) Installation on another user profile
5) Deleting B4A user folder and reinstalling
6) Starting B4A.exe with admin privileges and directly, without shortcut

I also enabled IDE logs, and this is the only info I get in log:

Build modules tree: 0
B4A version: 8.50
.Net version: 4.0.30319.42000
Ini folder: C:\Users\Yeroshei Cruo\AppData\Roaming\Anywhere Software\Basic4android
Current CultureInfo: English (United States)
UDP server: 192.168.1.7, broadcast: 192.168.1.255
Build modules tree: 0
Gui: 1009
Gui: 1898

Does anyone have an idea?

Upvote 0

manda

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there a way to change the default ini folder? When I change security permissions on B4A ini folder (in my case C:\Users\Yeroshei Cruo\AppData\Roaming\Anywhere Software\Basic4android), and give all permissions to everyone, B4A no longer crashes with KERNELBASE.DLL and .NET APPCRASH. It crashes with Windows default "program has stopped working" message.

This might be pointing to some .ini folder issue?

When I turn the debug option on, I receive also the info that the remote procedure call failed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

manda

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think that it is related to the ini folder. You can copy the ini file to the installation folder.

That leads to another thing. There is NO ini file in my ini folder. Probably the installation didn't write it for some reason, and this all seems to be related to a privilege problem, again related to a corrupt Windows installation. For the record, a guy solved a similar problem by giving all permissions on C: to the system user NETWORK SERVICE. I did the same and it didn't help.

To cut the story short, I installed B4A on another PC and it works like a charm. Moreover, I made an Android app I needed in only two days!

Thanks people for being helpful and for all those great libs, and thanks Erel for this fantastic product! When regarding the development speed and easiness, only Delphi compares to B4A!

Upvote 0